Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Starting a cosmetic line The Regulatory bits - UK/EU

  • The Regulatory bits - UK/EU

    Posted by HrH on November 16, 2022 at 2:26 pm

    Evening All. I have hopefully posted this in the right section. I was hoping I could get some views on two things relating to some of the regulatory requirements in the UK/EU for making cosmetics available.

    Context: Foreign formulator looking to make skin products available, first in the UK and then in the EU later on. Stage - trying to put in place RP services, organising whatever testing needs to be carried out in the UK before launch. Have received quotes for assessments, RP, CPSR, Challenge testing.


    1) SPF testing - I am looking to get my moisturiser ‘tested’ to see if I can utilise the phrase moisturiser plus SPF on the label and in ourmybranding. Was trying to get some quotes, so far 640GBP is what I have. Other labs seem to want a long conversation or form filled before giving a number. Does anyone have any other ranges, benchmarks?

    2) Relating to the PIF and registration of products on the OPSS: it seems I have two options here, do this from scratch (new account) or apparently do this via a lab using their details. Does anyone have any experience with this portion of bringing your product to market? If so, what would you advice. Purely from a cost perspective, it is cheaper by over a factor of 10 to go with the latter approach so I am leaning heavily that way.

    I’ve searched through the forums and resources but have not found anything related. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


    HrH replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • mikethair

    November 17, 2022 at 8:20 am
    As a formulator and manufacturer, we have placed products in the EU market.
    Check  European Regulation EC 1223/2009 (Article 4.1), “Only
    cosmetic products for which a legal or natural person is designated
    within the community as ‘the responsible person shall be placed on the
    We appointed a Safety Assessor who was the European Responsible Person. This person will guide you on the PIF. This file must be in the possession of the Safety Assessor / Responsible Person located in the European Union.
    We found it all very straightforward.

  • HrH

    November 21, 2022 at 10:39 am

    Thank you. Much appreciated. I’m going to try and do the PIF myself and have the assessor be my RP in the UK and help with OPSS.

Log in to reply.