Cosmetic Science Talk

Cosmetic Science discussion form. For people who want for formulate cosmetics and get advice from other formulators around the world.

Home Cosmetic Science Talk Cosmetic Industry Requirements to Sell Internationally

  • Requirements to Sell Internationally

    Posted by Thota on July 29, 2020 at 5:24 am


    I wanted to make and sell skincare products internationally via my own ecom website. I am setting up a new Lab space. Can any one guide me into what all compliance requirements should I meet.

    Thank you.

    Dr_Sara replied 2 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dr_Sara

    August 3, 2020 at 3:57 pm

    Hi Thota,
    I am an EU cosmetic safety assessor for Verdigris Cosmetic Solutions. I write CPSRs for products sold in the EU. In the EU you also need a Product Information File (PIF). Preservative Efficacy Test (depending on the product)

    There are some changes in the UK. After Brexit, you will need a UK based “Responsible Person”. 

    Have a look at where you will find an outline of what you need to meet legal requirements. 

    You also need to be aware of differences in labelling by country/legal area. The labelling in the EU differs from that in the US.

    Kind regards,
    Dr Sara in London

  • Thota

    August 1, 2020 at 7:57 am

    @mikethair could u pls guide me where to look for that information?
    Do u do that for all the countries or do u just focus on main markets like US, Canada, Aust, Middle east and EU?
    I am based in India.

  • mikethair

    July 31, 2020 at 11:12 pm

    We manufacture and ship internationally. You must comply with the cosmetics regulations in the destination country, and have your products registered in the destination country.

  • EVchem

    July 31, 2020 at 1:27 pm

    that’s not how I read it, the first link explicitly says for the EU you still need to comply with the regulation 1223/2009 even if you ship directly from your country to the consumer.

    That first article tells you what you should do, as to whether or not you will actually be held to those standards is a different question.

  • Thota

    July 31, 2020 at 1:22 am

    Thanks @EVchem

    All sites mention of selling in their country or region. 
    So companies who ship internationally doesn’t have to comply with individual countries.
    But they have to comply with the local country they are registered in right?

  • EVchem

    July 30, 2020 at 1:28 pm
  • Thota

    July 29, 2020 at 5:04 pm

    Thanks a lot @LincsChemist

    • Stability report can be done (should I complete 2 yrs realtime stability report?)
    • Challenge test can be done
    • Safety assessment can be done, found few by googling
    • But for CPNP should I ask a friend or where to find companies?

    No requirements to meet to sell in US, Canada and Middle East?

  • LincsChemist

    July 29, 2020 at 11:58 am

    I’m not an expert on international, but I know in the EU you will require a stability report, challenge test report and a safety assessment written by a competent assessor. You’ll then need to register it on the CPNP - you’ll also need someone (person or company) to act as the “Responsible Person” who is geographically located within the EU.