Cosmetic Science Talk

Cosmetic Science discussion forum. For people who want for formulate cosmetics and get advice from other formulators around the world.
*** Click on one of the three Forum categories below to start a new discussion ***

Home Cosmetic Science Talk General Do i need preservative in this laundry detergent formula at pH 10

  • Do i need preservative in this laundry detergent formula at pH 10

    Posted by Abdullah on November 8, 2022 at 1:38 pm

    Do i need preservative in this laundry detergent formula at pH 10

    Formula 

    SLS 3.8% active 
    LABSA 1.5% active 
    Lauryl glucoside 3.5% active 
    EDTA 1% or citric acid 1-3% 
    CMC 0.5% 
    Water 
    pH 10 

    If Yes, can i use CMI MI or formalin? 

    PhilGeis replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • PhilGeis

    Member
    November 8, 2022 at 4:23 pm

    Maybe not CMI - it’s unstable at 10 so effect is very time limited
    Benzoisothiazolinone is ,prob more common in this category.

  • Abdullah

    Entrepreneur
    November 9, 2022 at 3:02 am

    PhilGeis said:

    Maybe not CMI - it’s unstable at 10 so effect is very time limited
    Benzoisothiazolinone is ,prob more common in this category.

    Got it 
    Thanks

  • Abdullah

    Entrepreneur
    November 9, 2022 at 3:06 am

    If i dont use preservative in this product at pH 10, which microorganism will grow in it?
    And as this product will not be in contact with human skin, what is the side effects if the product got contaminated?

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 12:54 am

    The same ones that grow in Liquid Tide.  Odor, color and clarity compromised.

  • Abdullah

    Entrepreneur
    November 10, 2022 at 1:35 am

    PhilGeis said:

    The same ones that grow in Liquid Tide.  Odor, color and clarity compromised.

    Got it 
    Thanks

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    November 10, 2022 at 12:37 pm

    Halomonas Nesterenkonia Bacillus are the genera whose species can grow in high pH products

  • Abdullah

    Entrepreneur
    November 10, 2022 at 12:41 pm

    PhilGeis said:

    Halomonas Nesterenkonia Bacillus are the genera whose species can grow in high pH products

    Thanks

  • mikethair

    Member
    November 11, 2022 at 8:39 pm

    In our experience, at a pH of 10, a preservative is not required. We always do a microbial test and continue regular microbial testing beyond the shelf life. In 10 years have never had any positive microbial results.

  • Abdullah

    Entrepreneur
    November 12, 2022 at 4:02 am

    mikethair said:

    In our experience, at a pH of 10, a preservative is not required. We always do a microbial test and continue regular microbial testing beyond the shelf life. In 10 years have never had any positive microbial results.

    Thanks for sharing

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    November 12, 2022 at 2:00 pm

    @mikethair
    pH 10 is not prohibitive.  The recent recall of PineSol products (pH 10-11)  is a recent example.  https://pinesolrecall.com/?msclkid=7221f00cbb641775ef2b93631ee60e86&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

    Contamination in liquid laundry (Tide), household cleaners as above and even bar soaps are additional examples.

    Micro testing is often misdirected.  Bugs growing at pH 10 may not grow on conventional media of +/- neutral pH.  the Fabric softener Downy (acidic pH) includes a preservative to control a specific microbe that only grows at pH 5 and below and was missed for years by testing with conventional media.

    Laundry and similar products use preservatives to control manufacturing contamination - they don’t worry about consumer use as bugs ok with the tough conditions aren’t usually found in households.