Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Difference between dimethicone 20 cst and 350 cst

• Difference between dimethicone 20 cst and 350 cst

Posted by vjay on June 23, 2014 at 2:18 am

Hi All,

Good morning and have a great day.
    I am using Dimethicone in my formulations 20cst and 350cst 20 cst will give more spreadibiltiy.
    I want to know that what is the difference between dimethicone 20cst and 350cst.
    Why dimethicone 350 cst is more viscous.
    One supplier told me that blending of higher and lower viscous dimethicone he will create medium viscous dimethicone.
    for example he will blend dimethicone 10cst and dimethicone 350 cst and making a dimethicone 20cst.
    I want to know that it is the right process ?
    Anonymous replied 7 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • vitalys

June 23, 2014 at 2:54 am

@vjay, The difference is viscosity of those two types of the same sunbstances.

• nasrins

June 23, 2014 at 7:20 am

viscosity of liquid is resistance to flow,  so viscous fluids flow slowly. and ur suplier rights if they dont have any differences except viscosity, and there isnt any reactions between dimethicones.

• Chemist77

June 23, 2014 at 8:10 am

@nasrins what kind of fluid is dimethicone whether newtonian, non-newtonian, pseudo-plastic, thixotropic or something else.

thank u

• nasrins

June 24, 2014 at 6:26 am

plz dont go to details #-o

• vitalys

June 24, 2014 at 6:52 am

@nasrins, I guess milliachemist talks about basic concepts - not details :)

• nasrins

June 24, 2014 at 7:12 am

maybe, but i dont think so  that mixing dimethicon 10 cst with dimethicon 350 cst give dimethicone 5 cst or 400 cst.

• vjay

June 24, 2014 at 7:35 am
    What is in the manufacturing differenece in Dimethicone 20cst and 350 cst
    What is the chemically difference.
  • Chemist77

June 24, 2014 at 8:01 am

@vjay The numerical value denotes the polymer chain length and it ranges from as low as 0.65 cSt to 20 million cSt (phew).
    PS: 0.65 cSt has just two units of so it is a dimer and not a polymer like others.
    Hope this helps.

• Anonymous

June 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Dimethicone is short for dimethyl siloxane.  So, there are varying numbers of (CH3)2-Si-O- units.  The terminal ends can be methyl groups for non-reactive fluids, or hydroxyl groups or others for reactive fluids.

Dimethyl siloxane fluids are considered to be secondary viscosity standards.  The initial viscosity should remain the same for a very long time (unless they come in contact with certain catalytic materials).  There probably is a reason why two different viscosity fluids were recommended, instead of a single, intermediary one, but it may be based on something not involving the function of your product.

• Anonymous

March 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm

The formulation I am working with is 54% (poly) dimethylsiloxane 100 cSt and 46% (poly) dimethylsiloxane 1 cSt.  Can anyone help me understand how to calculate the blended cSt rating for the combined (poly)dimethylsiloxane product.