Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Clouding of aqueous solutions by euxyl® PE 9010 preservative

• Clouding of aqueous solutions by euxyl® PE 9010 preservative

Posted by mikethair on August 9, 2019 at 6:21 am
    We have received a Rose Floral Water shipment preserved with euxyl® PE 9010 (Phenoxyethanol and Ethylhexylglycerin). The Rose Floral Water is min 98% water and min 0.5% Rose Absolute.
    Previous shipments using another preservation system were always clear. The supplier does not have an explanation. Our own lab has determined the microbiol tests are negative.
    Anyone experienced clouding of aqueous solutions from euxyl® PE 9010
    One thought I had is that the clouding may be caused by a small concentration of Polysorbate?
    Any other explanations?
    Thanks.
    MarkBroussard replied 4 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • EVchem

August 9, 2019 at 11:03 am

I know the solubility of the phenoxyethanol/EHG in water is not great but if they are using the standard 1% 9010  it should be fine?

Or maybe the rose absolute has something to do with it, I don’t know much about the range of variation you can see with botanical extracts but I’d guess it can be pretty wide

• OldPerry

August 9, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I would guess it is just some insoluble organic matter from the botanical harvest. Maybe they didn’t filter it the same way this time. 

• MarkBroussard

August 9, 2019 at 2:17 pm

@mikethair:

The EHG in Euxyl 9010 is what is causing the clouding as it is not particularly water-soluble.  A touch of PolySugaMulse D9 or other solubilizer should clear it up.