Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating 100% Active Cetrimonium Bromide

• 100% Active Cetrimonium Bromide

Posted by CosChemFan on April 13, 2015 at 6:53 am

Hello All!

Around sometime last year I ordered about 32oz of Cetrimonium Bromide (CETAB) to try out in different leave-in and deep conditioner applications. From looking around on the web I got the impression that most suppliers available to me offered CETAB as a mixture with fatty alcohols. Much to my surprise when my order arrived I received 100% active CETAB. OK, no big deal I thought. Wrong! I really haven’t found a use for it on it’s own that hasn’t separated or become a useless mess in my personal opinion. From my reading I thought it was a pretty decent surfactant and emulsifier. Wrong again.
    Has anyone here formulated with it? 
    I’ve used it with BTMS and other like cationic emulsifiers with satisfactory results, however, I would like to use it as it’s own conditioner. I’ve tried to formulate it in a sprayable leave-in (worked with well with no oils. People loved it) and as a cream (hasn’t worked well at all). I was thinking of trying it with glyceryl stearate and PEG-100 Stearate to see how that could work out. I’m getting the impression that I greatly misunderstood the information regarding this ingredient…
    Cream Leave-in Formula that separated horribly the next day.
    CETAB 4.000
    Quaternium-31 2.000
    Water 70.500
    Propyltrimonium 2.000
    Rice Quat 2.000
    Liquid Silk 2.000
    Cetyl Alcohol 4.000
    Cetearyl Alcohol 2.000
    Crodamol STS   2.000
    Coconut Oil 4.000
    Shea Butter 2.000
    Vitaplex 3.000
    Germall Plus 0.500
    Fragrance
    TEA
    Citric Acid
    I know it’s missing an emulsifier, but I thought that’s where the CETAB came in at. 
    CosChemFan replied 9 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.