Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Would Euxyl PE 9010 + Benzyl Alcohol have the same effects as Euxyl 940?

• Would Euxyl PE 9010 + Benzyl Alcohol have the same effects as Euxyl 940?

Posted by czkld on March 11, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Hello all! I would like to use Euxyl 940(Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Benzyl Alcohol) from schulke, but unfortunately I can’t get any. I can, however, get Euxyl PE 9010. I’ve seen that it is a bit weak against yeast/mould. Can I get the same effects by combining the PE9010(Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin) and Benzyl Alcohol. If yes, what would be the percentage of BA?? 

LincsChemist replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ozgirl

March 11, 2020 at 10:41 pm
    You could make a guess by looking at the usage rates
    Euxyl K940 can be used at up to 1.5%. 
    Euxyl PE9010 is recommended for use at 1%.
    So my initial estimate would be that the Benzyl Alcohol is the remaining 0.5% which is in the recommended usage range for this material. 
    So the blend would be 2 parts PE9010 and 1 part Benzyl Alcohol.
    In any case you will need to test your product to sure it is adequately preserved.
  • czkld

March 12, 2020 at 7:23 am

@ozgirl Thanks so much!! I’m only really making cosmetics for my personal use for now, so if anything happens, only I will be hurt lmao

When I get into it a bit more seriously, I’ll make sure to get a lab to test the product for me :)

• LincsChemist

March 16, 2020 at 2:37 pm

K940 is approximately 40% Phenoxy, 40% Benzyl Alcohol and 20% Ethylhexylglycerin (from the MSDS). So you could get close by adding benzyl to PE9010, but not to quite the same ratio.