Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Which emulsifier is more robust: PEG 100 Stearate or Ceteareth 20?

• Which emulsifier is more robust: PEG 100 Stearate or Ceteareth 20?

Posted by Graillotion on June 15, 2022 at 12:36 am

I have always thought that the 165 type (Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate) was the industry’s most robust emulsifier.  Somehow my matriculation through the cosmetic formulating landscape, I missed the day where I learned about Cetearyl alcohol and Ceteareth 20. 

I am reevaluating the emulsifier for an emulsified cream deodorant, full of actives.  In this format, I am looking for quick absorbing product that leaves a dry finish.

I am also using a small amount of an anionic emulsifier to bolster.  More than likely GSC, but I also have SSG on hand.

I do not have access to Ceteareth 12 (Sorry ChemMatt).

I made an emulsion using Ceteareth 20, and polyglyceryl-3 stearate + GSC, and the texture was very nice, but did not want to go together until the mixture had cooled substantially from the original temp of around 75.  I will try adding some Glyceryl stearate to this today….and see if I get a better result.

The emulsions that don’t go right together always scare me.

Any thoughts on what to combine to make a really tough… cream deo?  I will list what I have on hand:

GS
    GS SE
    GSC
    G Oleate
    Polyglyceryl 3 stearate (incudes behenyl alcohol)
    Ceteareth 20 with and without cetearyl alcohol
    SSG  

Montanov: 202 /L/ 68

I might have more…but that is what come to mind.

Graillotion replied 1 year, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ketchito

June 15, 2022 at 3:00 pm

@Graillotion When pairing emulsifiers, you should search for the ones with similar non-polar part (that’s why PEG-100 stearate/Glyceryl stearate and Cetearyl alcohol/Ceteareth-20 work that well as combo). It’s like if you want to build a support using Tetrix: if you don’t choose all the pieces for a tight structure, it will still work, but won’t hold as much weight as if you have chosen the right pieces not to leave any hole.  

• ggpetrov

June 15, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I have Ceteareth-25 at home. I have used in several times in body lotions. It is ethoxylated, means that it uses the HLB system to calculate the fat phase. These emulsifiers have very high HLB, so you have to pair it with something with lower HLB. Usually this is GMS. Twice I tried to pair it with the Emulsan (methyl glucose sesquistearate), it didn’t work. The workflow is different, so I guess they are incompatible. Your plans to pair it with these emulsifiers you’ve mentioned, doesn’t make a sence.

• chemicalmatt

June 17, 2022 at 8:41 pm

@Graillotion I’ve used that PG-3 stearate and GMS combo at 3:1 and it worked really well. Add just a small amount of ceteareth-20 for extra stabilizing and you should be good to go. Also, using the GMS-SE will help this too.

• Graillotion

June 18, 2022 at 2:02 am

@Graillotion I’ve used that PG-3 stearate and GMS combo at 3:1 and it worked really well. Add just a small amount of ceteareth-20 for extra stabilizing and you should be good to go. Also, using the GMS-SE will help this too.

Do you feel that a small amount of anionic like either SSG or GSC would make these emulsions even more stable….or does that just make for a long INCI?

• Abdullah

June 18, 2022 at 11:21 am

Of course some ionic surfactants help stability because of charge. 

Are you talking about Cetearyl alcohol + Ceteareth 20 or ceteareth 2 or so + Ceteareth 20 to go for HLB counting method? 

• Graillotion

June 18, 2022 at 5:53 pm

Abdullah said:

Of course some ionic surfactants help stability because of charge. 

Are you talking about Cetearyl alcohol + Ceteareth 20 or ceteareth 2 or so + Ceteareth 20 to go for HLB counting method? 

I am working with Cetearyl alcohol and ceteareth 20…. using GMS for the low end.