Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General What is this called?

  • What is this called?

    Posted by JellyFishKarma on October 7, 2023 at 11:34 am

    I am looking to purchase this device for my current work but can not remember the proper name. I have played around with descriptions on google and every scientific equipment site to know avail. We had these at an old job for help with weighing samples for doing hplc assays. Please help!!!


    There is a clear straw (6-7 inches long) that has a black plunger inside with a black loop on the end. The loop is for suctioning very small amounts of sample to be put into a beaker for weighing.

    JellyFishKarma replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Camel

    October 7, 2023 at 12:28 pm

    Is it a micropipette?

    • JellyFishKarma

      October 7, 2023 at 1:11 pm

      thank you but no I looked it up that is a micro pipetter. This is not what I am talking about. I know you can purchase a box of these.

  • Perry44

    October 9, 2023 at 7:31 am

    ChatGPT says it’s most likely a micropipette. If it is not that, it could possibly be a Pasteur pipette or dropper pipette. How is the device you are talking about different from a micropipette?

    • JellyFishKarma

      October 9, 2023 at 12:08 pm

      Thank you for your input. I am familiar with micro pipetters and the regular plastic pipette but these are not what I am talking about.

      It is a plastic straw with a long black plastic stick inside of the straw. the black “stick” has a finger loop on the end to suck up liquid or paste products (like mascara, eyeliner) and the push the product out when the transfer is done. I have seen them used in filling small tube components, or in weighing out materials for extraction preparation before using an HPLC. I just never got the name of this device. I bet when people see this they will react and say we use these all the time… I may have to draw a picture.????

  • Zoya

    October 10, 2023 at 7:16 am


    I’m not completely sure about it, but maybe you are thinking of positive displacement pipettes. ?

    • JellyFishKarma

      October 10, 2023 at 9:15 am

      thank you for your comment but this is not what I am looking for. It is nothing mechanical. I am familiar and used an effendorf device. this is completed with 2 hands. One hand holding the straw and the other hand holding the stick plunger to draw up material and push it out into a beaker.

Log in to reply.