Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin vegan, 100% natural oil

• vegan, 100% natural oil

Posted by Anonymous on August 12, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Hey, I am looking for jojoba oil to moisturize my skin, as it quite dry and also I would like to treat acne. Any recommendations?

AmitKaria replied 5 years, 6 months ago 10 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • OldPerry

August 13, 2018 at 10:35 pm

What kind of recommendations are you looking for?  Are you looking for a company that supplies it? Or a different option than jojoba oil?

• Anonymous

August 19, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Yes, any brands who sells jojoba oil and also tried by you will be the best solution, so that I will be sure it will help me :)

• ngarayeva001

August 19, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Type jojoba oil on Amazon. Why jojoba?

• max21

August 21, 2018 at 1:56 pm
    A jojoba oil is best for skin. benefit of this oil is that it plays the role of sebum and moisturizes our skin and hair when our body stops doing it naturally. and i would like to recommended you which i use for my skin 
    i am sure you’ll adore it.
  • Anonymous

August 21, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for, I’ll give it a try!

• ngarayeva001

August 22, 2018 at 9:01 pm

@Veggi01 you said you skin is dry and you have acne. What it tells me, is that your skin is not dry. It’s dehydrated. Oil will not help dehydrated skin, your skin needs humectants not pure oil. But it will be much better if you go to a dermatologist first because dehydrated skin is made by wrong skin care routine. Sorry to say it, but jojoba oil (as well as any other oil) will not help you. You will only make it worse.

• Anonymous

August 27, 2018 at 2:08 pm

@ngarayeva001 hmm, right now I have mixed feelings, I was sure that I need an oil, did small research on the internet, maybe it is better not to guess and go to the dermatologist 

• Normasegovia55

August 31, 2018 at 4:25 am

Ive been doing my own face serums with essential oils and carrier oils,and my pores have gotten very big..what can I use so they can shrink..I’m 56 years old..than u inadvance

• MJL

August 31, 2018 at 6:52 pm

@Normasegovia55 What oils are you using and how much do you apply every day? “Big” looking pores are usually a sign of 2 things: 

1) Pores are clogged with too much dead skin and sebum, making them appear larger. 

2) Skin is irritated, causing tight skin, which can cause pores to look larger.

If you are using oils that promote clogging and excess build-up of sebum, then this may be causing your pores to look larger. In this case, you need to rethink your choice of oils and how much you are applying. 

If the oils are irritating your skin (which may be possible due to addition of essential oils) then your skin may be pulling tight/stretching and causing your pores to look larger. When skin is healthy it is plump and does not show pores as much. 

Possible Solutions:

- Consider using “dry” oils (oils that are fast absorbing). These are oils higher in linoleic acid and lower in oleic acid. Google the “fatty acid profile” of the oils you are using, or want to use, and look for higher % of linoleic acid. 

- Make sure you are not applying too much of the oil each day. You do not need to slather it on. Use only a few drops and press gently into the skin. 

- Exfoliate your skin once every 2 weeks with an AHA (alpha-hydroxy-acid) solution (glycolic and/or lactic acid). These are natural acids that can be found in fruits and milk. They help slough off excess dead skin cells. Also consider rotating this with BHA (beta-hydroxy-acids) which can exfoliate within the pores. (AHA’s do not exfoliate within pores but work on the surface.) WARNING: DO NOT over-exfoliate. Over-exfoliation can lead to skin irritation, dryness, and inflammation. May also cause any underlying acne to come to the surface. Start slowly and build up tolerance to exfoliating products. 

- Reconsider the essential oils in your blend. There is not a significant enough body of research/evidence to show that essential oils can affect any real/significant physiological changes (ex: “healing properties”) to the skin (other than irritation). Mainly they are useful for adding scent. In truth, essential oils more often have the potential to irritate skin. You need to make sure you are using properly diluted proportions in your facial oils. You should only be adding oils at a very small fraction (less than 1%) of the total volume of your solution. Unless you are determined to have a nice scent, I would just remove the essential oils. 

Additional thoughts…

- Remember that the actual size of our pores is genetic and cannot be changed by products. Only the appearance of the pores can be slightly altered by skincare habits. 

- Remember that oils do not hydrate the skin. Oils are occlusive emollients which serve as a barrier to help keep moisture that is already in our skin, inside. Skin needs water to be truly moisturized, so if you are using only oils, this is not a long-term solution for hydrated skin. Consider using a water-based product containing humectants (water attracting substances such as hyaluronic acid, panthenol, propanediol, or glycerin) in conjunction with your oils. (Water-based product goes on first, oil goes on top.) 

• ngarayeva001

August 31, 2018 at 8:07 pm

I can only add one word: Niacinamide.

• Normasegovia55

August 31, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Thank u both MIL and ngarayeva001 for our respond…

• Anonymous

September 13, 2018 at 12:20 pm

I also have dry skin in some places. I use pure coconut oil on my body - elbows and knees (as these areas get especially dry). But on my face what I use is Jojoba Oil, it nourishes it and brings back a unified color to my skin. The one that I’m currently using and can recommend 100% is this -> collections/oils/products/golden-jojoba-oil. It is safe for your skin and doesn’t contain chemicals. You can also look on Etsy a lot of sellers offer completely pure jojoba but then you would yourself need to mix it with some carrier oil. Remember drink a lot of water! ! !

• OldPerry

September 13, 2018 at 12:51 pm

@savetheplanetearth - jojoba oil is a mixture of chemicals. It only contains chemicals.

• Microformulation

September 13, 2018 at 2:13 pm
    @savetheplanetearth I see a lot of anecdotal testimonials and product recommendations. This is more of a Formulating site.
    As @Perry properly pointed out, all matter contains chemicals. It is a huge fallacy to promote it otherwise. It is pure chemophobia.
  • ngarayeva001

September 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Also, regarding “completely pure jojoba but then you would yourself need to mix it with some carrier oil”, I might be missing something but jojoba oil IS a carrier oil. And, as I said oil can be somehow beneficial for a dry skin, but pretty much useless for a dehydrated skin. 

• MarkBroussard

September 13, 2018 at 3:37 pm

I dare say that killing all those Jojoba’s for the sake of making an oil to put on your face is hardly SavingThePlanetEarth!

• Microformulation

September 13, 2018 at 3:59 pm

@MarkBroussard “Save the Jojobas!” I would wear that t-shirt.

• Dtdang

September 13, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Try making lotion/cream with rosehip oil, turmeric extract, raw natural honey (hard to find), glycerin, aloe vera.

• ngarayeva001

September 13, 2018 at 9:18 pm

@Dtdang, those are great ingredients but they sometimes cause allergies, I would recommend doing a patch test when using them.

• ngarayeva001

September 27, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Jojoba oil is just a carrier oil. It doesn’t have any magic properties and definitely doesn’t help with “bacterial infection and stuff”. 

• Christopher

September 28, 2018 at 12:32 am

3 people posting the exact same link…I’d say there’s something fishy about this company.

• OldPerry

September 28, 2018 at 12:43 pm

@Christopher - yeah, I’ve been deleting them and will now ban the user.

• AmitKaria

October 24, 2018 at 12:05 am

Dtdang said:

Try making lotion/cream with rosehip oil, turmeric extract, raw natural honey (hard to find), glycerin, aloe vera.

I think this is an excellent formulation but why Glycerin, just the rosehip oil or if possible sandalwood oil, turmeric, honey and aloe shud do a better job.