Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin USP 51 vs ISO 11930 test?

• USP 51 vs ISO 11930 test?

Posted by domicanica on May 11, 2021 at 7:04 pm

Can anyone provide insight into which PET is suitable or better for body products, specifically body wash and O/W body lotion? I’m not sure whether I should choose the USP 51 test or the ISO 11930 test and from my readings the tests appear to be the same. I can’t really base it on my location because there’s no regulatory requirements when it comes to these things where I live and I don’t want to choose the cheaper test just because it’s cheaper. Any insight or advice is very much appreciated.

domicanica replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • singhc10

May 12, 2021 at 10:35 am

ISO 11930 is written for only cosmetics, while the USP 51 covers testing of cosmetics, NHPs and drugs. If you are in North America, you can go with USP 51.

• PhilGeis

May 12, 2021 at 1:15 pm

In execution, these (with EP 5.1.3. EFFICACY OF ANTIMICROBIAL
    PRESERVATION) are about the same.  There are major differences in success criteria.  You can go with any but, as none has been validated for cosmetics, suggest you defer to ISO 11930 criteria.

• domicanica

May 12, 2021 at 3:58 pm

Thanks @singhc10 and @PhilGeis.

Another question: I am making 2 different products, a body wash and a body lotion. These will come in 5 different scent variations each, lavender, coconut, sandalwood, eucalyptus and unscented. Do I need to send one sample of each product in each scent or would it be sufficient to only send the unscented ones plus 1 scented body wash and 1 scented lotion?

• PhilGeis

May 12, 2021 at 4:46 pm

Prob ok - what is perfume % in formula.

• domicanica

May 12, 2021 at 7:22 pm

Just 1-2%.