Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating SugaNate 160NC - Antimicrobial Activity

• SugaNate 160NC - Antimicrobial Activity

Posted by ozgirl on November 13, 2023 at 9:09 pm

On the SugaNate 160NC (INCI: Sodium Laurylglucosides Hydroxypropylsulfonate) technical data sheet I came across the following information.

Antimicrobial Performance for Detergency

Zone of Inhibition: A 16% solution was tested against a Gram-negative bacteria, Pseudomonas aeruginosa; a yeast, C. albicans; and a mold Aspergillus niger. Results showed very good microbial protection against all three microbes.

https://colonialchem.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SugaNate-160NC-TDS.pdf

I am wondering if anyone has any practical experience with this raw material at a similar concentration and if this antimicrobial activity allowed you to reduce the amount of preservative used in your formulation.

Or is this more the type of activity that allows the concentrate to be preservative free but in reality has no noticeable effect on the preservation of the system.

I tend to err on the side of caution using the close to the highest recommended amount of preservative in a formulation but if I can reduce it slightly then this will be beneficial to the overall costs.

I will test the preservative efficacy of the formulation.

I am looking at using this product in a body wash and shampoo with a combination of Benzyl Alcohol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Benzoate and Phenethyl alcohol as the preservative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PhilGeis replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • PhilGeis

November 14, 2023 at 6:34 am

Doubt it’s anything special re. micro. More gee whiz - note they do not compare to other surfactants. Even marketing does not recommend preservative free.

Why phenethyl vs,. phenoxyethyl?

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  PhilGeis.
    • ozgirl

November 14, 2023 at 2:53 pm

Thanks @PhilGeis

Phenoxyethanol is not liked by customers so I added the phenethyl to help cover gram negative bacteria.

• PhilGeis

November 14, 2023 at 2:57 pm

OK - it’s not as good and fairly useless vs Gram positives and fungi

• Unknown Member

November 26, 2023 at 8:14 pm

@drift boss That’s right.

• PhilGeis

November 27, 2023 at 5:53 am

The sales brochure offers preserved formulae @ pH’s inconsistent with expected range of effect. Think these folks know nothing of preservation. Consider it as a surfactant, not for any preservation potential.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  PhilGeis.