Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Soaping and dimethicone….. 6 or 350 CST.

Tagged: 

• Soaping and dimethicone….. 6 or 350 CST.

Posted by Graillotion on May 13, 2020 at 4:56 am

Well…I went online to buy dimethicone, for the sole purpose of soaping reduction in lotion…. Only to discover, my main supplier carries two viscosities…. 6 and 350 cst.

For the sole purpose of soaping reduction….which one should I select?  If they are equally effective against soaping…..why should I select one over the other?

On a second note….in the description, the following paragraph was enclosed:

Used at a rate of 1% to 30%, dimethicone conforms to the FDA’s Tentative Final Monograph on OTC Skin Protectants. However, provided you make no drug claims for it, dimethicone does not have to be declared as an active ingredient, nor does your product or facility need to conform to OTC drug production standards. Dimethicone can be added to any cosmetic and declared on the ingredient label in descending order

Can someone translate this for me?  Does this mean I do not have to include it on the INCI …. if I so desire?  I am making no claims…..beyond the typical….moisturizing…etc.  Or is that simply mean….not listed as an ‘active’…but still must be listed?

Graillotion replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

May 13, 2020 at 11:30 am

1) I have seen 5 but not 6, that’s interesting… anyway, they both would reduce soaping. 6 vs 350 would only be noticeable in some sort of serum (say oil/silicone-based hair serum). You won’t be able to tell difference in a lotion, so get the cheaper one. 
    2) No, you must list “dimethicone” without mentioning viscosity. What they are saying you don’t have to list it above LOI as the active ingredient. If you make claims that dimethicone in this formula reduces TEWL for example, you would have to list it above your LOI as the active ingredient and say how much you used. Look at sunscreens to get an idea, they would have active ingredients listed not he top, not within all other.

• EVchem

May 13, 2020 at 12:24 pm

You still have to list it on the label. That paragraph is saying you can still make a cosmetic with dimethicone. If you start making claims about the product protecting the skin, you are making a drug and should follow procedure for  drug manufacture (labeling active ingredients, being a registered FDA manufacturer, filing paperwork).

How to choose between 6 vs 350 dimethicone? What are the cost differences,  amount needed to eliminate the soaping, feel, consider if one is harder to source or use than another (that’s how a business thinks vs a hobbyist). 

• ggpetrov

May 13, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I have two types of Dimethicone at home - 50cs and 1000cs. The last one I’ve bought it from Gracefruit.uk. The difference between both is huge. The 50cs is liquid like water and could be substitute of the lightest oils. However, it is suitable for male cosmetics and oily prone skin. I’ve tested it for a couple of women, and they said that the product is too light and their skin “needs more”. That’s dependant not only of the Dimethicone of course! On the other side the 1000cs is more viscous and gives a kind of consistency of the product. I guess the 350cs stays somewhere between.

• ngarayeva001

May 13, 2020 at 8:34 pm

@ggpetrov, I have different viscosities and I would say, 350 is a must, 5 is very useful, 1000 is also good for some applications. I don’t see much difference with the ones in between such as 10, 50, 100.

• Graillotion

May 14, 2020 at 7:30 am

Thank you all…the 350 is cheapest, and available from multiple suppliers that I regularly use.