Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Shampoo formula with Plantacare 1200

• Shampoo formula with Plantacare 1200

Posted by Tendo on April 4, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Hello,
    I would appreciate some help with my shampoo formulation below. I tried it and while I do like the foam, I am not very happy with the slip and would like to attempt increasing it so any guidance is welcome. 
    Water 60.65%
    Coco betaine 13.3%
    Plantacare 1200 8%
    Plantacare 818  3.9%
    SLS 3.2%
    Lamesoft 2%
    Polyquat 7 2%
    PEG Castor 1%
    PEG Lanolin 1%
    Phenoxyethanol 1%
    Claims ingredients 0.5%
    Fragrance 0.2%
    Citric Acid

These are the only surfactants and polyquat I have access to in my neck of the woods.
    Thank you
    Tendo

Tendo replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • belassi

April 4, 2020 at 10:44 pm

That’s typical of those surfactants. Sorry.

• Tendo

April 5, 2020 at 8:58 am

Thank for the comment, any alternatives you can recommend and I attempt to source? 

• belassi

April 5, 2020 at 3:41 pm

There are so many surfactants … where are you? Do you have access to BASF or Stepan distributors?

• Tendo

April 5, 2020 at 4:49 pm

I am in Uganda (East Africa) with next to zero access and costs become prohibitive when importing from South Africa. 

• belassi

April 5, 2020 at 7:27 pm

I don’t think you have enough active surfactant material in that formula. And 2% Lamesoft PO-65 if that’s what you have, is too high, 1% is recommended. First, increase the total ASM to get, say, 14% and then retest. Are there no other surfactants available?

• Tendo

April 6, 2020 at 11:25 am

CDEA, SLES (which makes my scalp as itchy as can be) and CAPB are all I can get here. Anything beyond that I must import 
    I did start by using lamesoft at 1% then increased to the 2%

I have to ditch the SLeS because the itch is instant
    thank you for your time
  • Tendo

April 6, 2020 at 11:26 am

I have been formulating at 13 ASM as I’ve a dry scalp and hair. It is also as hot as can be right now 

• belassi

April 6, 2020 at 4:51 pm

You can try increasing the two PEGs to say, 2% each, but apart from that, given the materials, there’s not much I can suggest. If SLeS is causing you problems, I’m surprised you can tolerate SLS.

• Tendo

April 7, 2020 at 8:21 am

Both SLES and SLS are not for me, foolishly thought I could attempt a change and see
    thank you so much for your suggestions

• belassi

April 7, 2020 at 8:46 pm

It’s unfortunate that you can’t source alternates. Yes, I know where Uganda is. Nearest I have been was Bukavu in the DRC, I installed an FM radio station there, I arrived back at it on the Monday after broadcasting test music all weekend, with the Zaire Minister of Information, to find the Ministers of Information of Uganda and Rwanda waiting for me to explain why they were suddenly hearing a new radio station on air. I’m very familiar with the DRC, Congo, Nigeria, The Gambia, Senegal, and Niger. 
    Thinking about this, I suggest you see if you can band together with like-minded people to maybe import.

• belassi

April 8, 2020 at 1:52 am

By the way - can’t you even get ALS? It’s usually available.

• Tendo

April 12, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Nope, I think I may be able to get it SCI but must wait till we are out of quarantine to confirm even that. Amazing how options are limited for me, not many like minded fellows I’m aware of. Interesting how so many are “happy” with the absolute basics🤣 I always sound like a lunatic when I’m asking for new ingredients 

I apologise for getting back so late, I was trying out a theory with Cetyl and while it gave the shampoo some lovely slip, I lost foaming ability- back to the drawing board 
  • Tendo

April 12, 2020 at 3:35 pm

seeing as I have lots of the glucosides, do you think I could use them for a body wash? May as well not waste them 

• Abdullah

April 28, 2020 at 1:23 pm

@Tendo what is the problem with lauryl glucoside in Shampoo? 

I planned to purchase some

• Anonymous

April 30, 2020 at 12:30 am

I’m landing a line of hair products and have tried to hire a formulator to help me. the problen is that their cost is more than my budget for the entire project. can you please recommend someone reasonable. I have already made and tried the products but want to make sure I’m not mixing the wrong ingredients. Thanks 

• ngarayeva001

April 30, 2020 at 7:01 am

@Tendo, as it was mentioned by others glucosides make very poor shampoo. They tangle hair and feel draggy when you lather them with your fingers. You absolutely can make an ok body and hand wash with them. Those are just not great for hair. Re SCI, it a mild surfactant but you can’t use it in a liquid product because it has very poor solubility. If you see  SCI in commercial products it’s in the bottom of the list, because they used just a couple of %
    I understand you, I can never have enough ingredients. I run out of storage space but continue ordering more.

• ngarayeva001

April 30, 2020 at 7:05 am

On a separate note, phenoxy alone isn’t broad spectrum. You need something to cover mould and fungi

• Tendo

May 20, 2020 at 12:27 pm

@Tendo, as it was mentioned by others glucosides make very poor shampoo. They tangle hair and feel draggy when you lather them with your fingers. You absolutely can make an ok body and hand wash with them. Those are just not great for hair. Re SCI, it a mild surfactant but you can’t use it in a liquid product because it has very poor solubility. If you see  SCI in commercial products it’s in the bottom of the list, because they used just a couple of %
    I understand you, I can never have enough ingredients. I run out of storage space but continue ordering more.

Thanks for the feedback, I am playing with making an acceptable body wash. I’ve managed to improve product flow but it came at the cost of foaming ability😒! Any suggestions?