Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General regulation of cosmetics in the US

  • regulation of cosmetics in the US

    Posted by cossci21 on February 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm

    Hi I am working for a cosmetic line in Australia and we are looking at selling in the US.

    The EU an UK seem to have regulations that you must have a product info package with all the documentation however looking up the FDA i cant find too much info on what documents we must have?
    Does anyone know what documentation you must have to sell in the US?
    cossci21 replied 10 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • DavidW

    February 19, 2014 at 7:33 am

    I am not certain what you need to import it but as far as selling, as long as your packaging conforms to FDA standards you pretty much don’t need anything.

  • Bobzchemist

    February 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

    The US FDA requires you to prove that your cosmetic products are “safe”. They offer no further guidelines for doing this, aside from some specs for heavy metal content.

    Most companies introducing a newly formulated product onto the us market will do at least a PET and a RIPT.
  • alchemist

    February 19, 2014 at 2:19 pm

    If your EU PIF is in good shape, then you should be good to go (as long as you dont have any of those ingredients that cause cancer to Californians and require special labeling ;)

  • Zink

    February 22, 2014 at 3:02 am

    Selling in as in getting your products onto retail or online “shelves” or selling to US and EU customers shipping your products from Australia?

  • Bobzchemist

    February 22, 2014 at 10:28 am

    Either, I think. Make sure ingredient dec is correct for US.

  • cossci21

    February 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm

    Hi Everyone ok thanks

    Yes we have our PIP documents up to date with the EU which require a lot, thought the FDA might be a bit stricter and was assuming they had more stringent regs.
    Ok thanks for that! 

Log in to reply.