Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Problems with Sylvaclear A200V or Uniclear 100VG?

• Problems with Sylvaclear A200V or Uniclear 100VG?

Posted by ozgirl on August 19, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using Sylvaclear A200V or Uniclear 100VG (Arizona Chemical) polymers? I think Croda also sells similar products.

I am trying to make a mineral oil gel using Sylvaclear A200V or Uniclear 100VG at 5 to 10% but I keep getting a grainy feeling when the gel cools. I am heating the polymers with the mineral oil until the polymers dissolve and then stirring until they cool. Do I need to hold them at above the polymer melting temperature before they cool?

The samples that I received from the supplier are due to expire in Nov and Dec this year. Could old polymers cause this problem?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

ozgirl replied 9 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chemist77

August 19, 2014 at 4:22 am

Try the same with any other emollient oil and you would know if it is the process problem or the RM itself.

• Bobzchemist

August 19, 2014 at 10:04 am

Also try holding them hot for a while and then cooling very slowly while stirring.

Typically, a grainy feel is a result of imperfect solubility, but make sure it’s not a processing issue first.
    Then, contact technical service
    Tel: +1 800 526 5294 

• ozgirl

August 19, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give them a try.

• chemicalmatt

August 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Bob’s right on this one.  Those things “seed” too early, they get grainy.  For the record, ozgirl, there is no issue with the raw material.  That Sylvaclear stuff will stay viable for years, if not decades!

• ozgirl

August 24, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Thanks chemicalmatt for the information :).