Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Plastics for Preservatives

  • Plastics for Preservatives

    Posted by CosmoMan on July 13, 2021 at 5:53 pm

    Is there a source that anyone knows of to show what types of plastics can be used for what type of preservatives? I have both liquid germall plus and optiphen plus. I will be working with different preservatives in the future, and I just need to know what types of plastic bottles I can order for lotions.

    PhilGeis replied 2 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Paprik

    Member
    July 13, 2021 at 6:59 pm

    During my studies with IPCS, they warned us to be carefully with those really thin and flimsy packaging. If you are not sure, simply make 10% solution of the preservative, fill the packaging, leave it and see if it does something. 

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    July 13, 2021 at 8:07 pm

    Some packaging materials can take up preservatives.

  • ozgirl

    Member
    July 15, 2021 at 5:51 am
    There is a little bit of information in this article.
    It is best to just contact the supplier to confirm what packaging is best.

  • CosmoMan

    Member
    July 15, 2021 at 9:14 pm

    ozgirl said:

    There is a little bit of information in this article.
    It is best to just contact the supplier to confirm what packaging is best.

    Thanks for the link. I’ll read through it.

    Contacting the supplier. I emailed the maker, Ashland, over a week ago and received no response. 

    https://www.ashland.com/industries/personal-and-home-care/skin-and-sun-care/optiphen-plus-preservative

  • Abdullah

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 6:17 am

    Lotion suppliers use HDPE  and PET plastics and raw material suppliers use these two for raw preservatives. Mine uses HDPE. These are the most common. So you can be sure thse two plastics are safe. Other plastics are rarely used. 

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 11:40 am

    I’m not with my colleague Abdukkah.  You can not be sure the packages are “safe” unless you confirm and control the risk.  That said, risk for Germall is low but, phenoxyethanol may be at risk.  Package size is a critical factor.  
    Major guys conduct analysis of preservative in stability, and you should as well.  I understand this may be too expensive for many - so look for precdent - similar products from major cosmetic guys - formula, package composition, esp. size, etc.

  • Pattsi

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 12:48 pm

    @PhilGeis - Hi, can you please explain more on Package size is a critical factor?
    Is the bigger bottle the more it take up the preservative? Or is it the thickness or is it the more head space?
    Thank you in advance.

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 12:55 pm

    Small mascara package with plastic brush inserted would be a much greater risk for preserative adsorption than a big shampoo bottle.  But major manufacturers wouild addres both.

  • Abdullah

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 4:15 pm

    PhilGeis said:

    I’m not with my colleague Abdukkah.  You can not be sure the packages are “safe” unless you confirm and control the risk.  That said, risk for Germall is low but, phenoxyethanol may be at risk.  Package size is a critical factor.  
    Major guys conduct analysis of preservative in stability, and you should as well.  I understand this may be too expensive for many - so look for precdent - similar products from major cosmetic guys - formula, package composition, esp. size, etc.

    Thanks for your information. 
    I currently purchase phenoxyethanol in 20kg drums, store them in original package, fill 1kg HDPE bottles from that and use from these 1kg Bottles in my products. So what materials are safest for phenoxyethanol to be stored in? 

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    July 16, 2021 at 10:47 pm

    Follow supplier’s choice for raw material storage.   What are the drums - are they lined?

  • Abdullah

    Member
    July 18, 2021 at 12:22 am

    PhilGeis said:

    Follow supplier’s choice for raw material storage.   What are the drums - are they lined?

    The drums are also HDPE. 
    What do you mean by lined?

  • PhilGeis

    Member
    July 18, 2021 at 1:38 pm

    Then use HDPE.

Log in to reply.