Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating PEG-free alternative to Olivem 300 (Olive oil PEG-7 esters)?

• PEG-free alternative to Olivem 300 (Olive oil PEG-7 esters)?

Posted by Anonymous on March 8, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Hello! I have been searching high and low for some time now for an appropriate natural solubilizer and my head is spinning already. Some fresh input would be welcome. ;-)

Now to the question: I would like to make a hydrophilic oil base for preparation of a mild and natural wash emulsion (upon addition of water). 
    I found a similar product that contains the following ingredients:

soybean oil
    olive oil PEG-7 esters 
    zea mays oil
    prunus amygdalus dulcis oil
    sesamum indicum seed oil
    lavandula hybrida oil
    lavandula angustifolia oil
    rosa damascena flower oil

I want to use other oils (like macadamia, sunflower..) and skip the EOs but that is not of importance I guess. My main question is with what could I substitute the olive oil PEG-7 esters in this formulation? The reason I want to replace it is because I would like to use a PEG-free component. It should be as “natural” as can get while being efficient, safe, mild, liquid and odourless. The final product should remain liquid and clear. This is to be used for a product for babies and children.

In my own search I found the following products that I think could work, but have no experience with them. 

Lecithin (or isolecithin)
    Sepiclear G7 (heptyl glucoside)
    TEGO solve 61 (INCI name:Polyglyceryl-6 Caprylate; Polyglyceryl-3 Cocoate; Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate; Polyglyceryl-6 Ricinoleate)

I will be very happy if someone can give me input on this. Thanks a bunch! 
    pbbano replied 4 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

March 8, 2016 at 6:41 pm

without an emulsification system it is not going to work.

• Anonymous

March 8, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Hi Belassi,

thanks for your input! I just did not understand to which part do you refer - the first formula or the suggested substitutes? The first formula with oilve oil PEG-7 esters (Olivem 300) works, it is an existing product. Olivem 300 is an emulsifier or co-emulsifier. Do you mean you think the suggested solubilizers are not enough to substitute the Olivem 300? Do you have other suggestions for a natural emulsioner with similar properties? Thank you.
  • Mike_M

March 8, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I would contact Hallstar and ask. They know their line better than anybody else and they have come through here before with some really great products.

• bobzchemist

March 8, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Just got an email about something called Sophogreen, from Induchem/Soliance:

• Ruben

March 8, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Olivem 300 is not an emulsifier. It is an emollient.

• Anonymous

March 10, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Thank you all for your answers! In the tech. data sheet of Olivem 300 it states that “It is endowed with a good solubilizing power” and it is described as a “co-emulsifying and solubilizing agent” on Hallstar webpage. In any case, in the existing product I described above it is the only component that could have some solubilizing properties (isn´t it?) - and I used the product and when mixed with water it does create an emulsion. Not arguing that there couldnt be something better than this formulation… Anyhow, my quest then continues. :-)

• Anonymous

April 12, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Have you looked into Sucragel (oil-thickening and emulsifying liquid)?

You can create oil gels that emulsify when the product comes in contact with water. Works well for face cleansing products incl. make-up removal etc. It is not cheap however.
  • pbbano

December 12, 2023 at 8:14 pm

Hi, were you able to find an alternative to Olivem 300? I use it when making cleansing balms, which helps improve rinse-off, but I would like to keep the Ethylene Oxide that’s in PEG-7 out of my list of ingredients if that’s possible.