Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating PEG-150 distearate

• PEG-150 distearate

Posted by Anna_Maria on September 22, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Hello everyone hope you’re doing good B)
    Anyone knows how can i use PEG-150 distearate in shampoo using cold process? i’m dissolving the PEG-150 distearate pellets in heated water (ratio 1/10) then adding it to the shampoo mixture. Is it a good method?
    Thank youuu!!!! <3

ketchito replied 10 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

September 22, 2022 at 6:37 pm

@Anna_Maria that will not  work, the PEG-150DS will crash out. You need to add some of the amphoteric into that hot solution to prevent that. Do you have cocamidopropyl betaine or another in your formula? An alkanolamide can work too. BTW the easiest method of thickening shampoos  - especially sulfate free ones - that are not salt-responsive is to use acrylate copolymers. These are 30% solutions you just drop in and adjust pH when you are done adding the other stuff. Synthalen W-600 works like a charm. 

• Mad.Scnts

July 19, 2023 at 11:09 pm

Hi there, my sulphate-free shampoo is using acrylates copolymer 3.5% and Sodium Chloride 1%, but it doesn’t enough to thicken my shampoo. any treatment or suggestions in order to adding Acrylates copolymer? anyway i add it at 48 C before i added Salt. thanks before

• ketchito

July 20, 2023 at 8:17 am

Are you using an anionic surfactant? If you’re using CAPB in your formula, to have any salt response you need to build a mixed-micelle system. For that, you need and antagonist to your CAPB (every Batman needs a Joker, not the best analogy though). Your could use some Sodium C12-14 olefin sulfonate. Then, when you add your salt, free ions will help create a more structured packing. Cocamide DEA will definitely boost this effect.

• DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ

September 24, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Heat all surfactants to 60-70C and Peg 150.