Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating peg 150 distearate

• peg 150 distearate

Posted by Shaghayegh on November 17, 2023 at 6:43 am

hi I am trying to make a body wash and I am using peg 150 distearate as thickener.

my question is that when is the best time and how to add it in the formula. I have tried to add it at the beginning and at the end. Here are my issue:

when added at the beginning, after adding my first and second surfactants it gets too thick that I can not add any other ingredients because the it won’t stir.

on the other hand because it needs temperature to dissolve when heating up it seems that my pearlizing texapon seems to be less pearlizing.so I tried to divide my water content and dissolve it separately and then add it at the final step. But as you may know peg 150 distearate need surfactant to be completely dissolved.

what should I do?

Nubian replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

November 17, 2023 at 10:53 am

Add PEG-150 Distearate at 65C after your base surfactants are dispersed completely. Then always add that pearlizer during the cool-down phase. If it were me, I’d just add plain EGDS at same time/temp as the PEG-150 and forego the Texapon mix.

• Shaghayegh

November 25, 2023 at 10:56 am

thank you so much

• Nubian

November 20, 2023 at 8:27 am

Try dissolving the PEG-150 in your water and Cocoamidopropyl Betaine. Then add the other surfactants once it’s cooled to 50 degrees or below. What percentage are you adding the PEG-150?

• Shaghayegh

November 25, 2023 at 10:57 am

about 0.3 %

• Paprik

November 20, 2023 at 11:40 am

I am with Matt. I heat all surfactants to dissolve them and once clear and warm/hot I add PEG 150 Disterate. Easy. 🙂

• SunilHiwarkat1965

November 21, 2023 at 3:26 am

I very regularly use PEG-150 DS without any issues. As Matt pointed out add it above 65 degrees. Also since you are using hot process, you can replace texapon with EGDS/ EGMS. Continue the heating to 75-80 degrees. Don’t forget to stir it continuously till cool down. Also better to add CAPB in cool down phase as last ingredient. This will facilitate mixing of other ingredients.

• Shaghayegh

November 25, 2023 at 11:05 am

I think I should change my thickener. I have trouble with peg 150 DS specially when checking the stability of my formula at low temperature it seems to be somehow like a gel

• Nubian

February 15, 2024 at 2:18 am

I’m not sure if you’ve completely abandoned the use of the peg-150, but I think I’ve found a solution. I tried a sodium hydroxide solution and it worked in decreasing the viscosity but the pH went way high even with just a little added. So I scrapped that. Then I thought maybe I should use the salt-curve method. I initially thought salt would further thicken the formulation but it actually sort of worked. I added salt at .5% increments. Luckily it didn’t require lots of salt to decrease viscosity. So for the 0.3 peg-150 I used I only needed 1% salt for my desired viscosity. Try it to see if it works.