Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Olivem 1000 - Not Dissolving!

• Olivem 1000 - Not Dissolving!

Posted by Vyctam on March 24, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues melting Olivem 1000 and hoping someone can help shed some light on what else I can try.

Below is a photo of what I mean by not melting. I have tiered back my recipe completely and all I am trying to do now is successfully melt Olivem 1000 in sunflower oil. I have tried 3-6% Olivem 1000 to 25% sunflower oil at multiple water bath temperatures (70-85C) and durations (20m-60m). Tried stirring and not stirring but nothing seems to make much difference. If I emulsify with water without the emulsifier fully melting the texture is somewhat lumpy. I have checked with my supplier and they are equally confused.

Has anyone encountered this problem? 

Thanks in advance!

Vyctam replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • markbroussard

March 24, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Have you measured the temperature of the oil itself?  It might also help if you stir it as you are heating … there is no obvious reason why Olivem 1000 would not melt completely in the 70C to 80C range … unless it’s not really Olivem 1000

• pattsi

March 25, 2021 at 6:45 am

Have you measured the temperature of the oil itself?  It might also help if you stir it as you are heating … there is no obvious reason why Olivem 1000 would not melt completely in the 70C to 80C range … unless it’s not really Olivem 1000

As Mark mentioned, measure the temperature of the oil itself not the water in the bath.
    Sometimes I when did real quick DIYing, I put the beaker in microwave for 45-50 sec. bring it up to 80-85C and then stir it for a bit.
    Olivem 1000 should melt easily, unless there’s somethings wrong with it. 

• Vyctam

March 25, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Mark and Pattsi, really appreciate your help.
    I measured the temperature of the oil itself and at 75C, Olivem 1000 melted without problems. Water bath was at 85C to achieve this. Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier, such a simple solution! Thanks again!