Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Olivem 1000 in an solid anti dandruff shampoo

• Olivem 1000 in an solid anti dandruff shampoo

Posted by maysun on May 12, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Hello everyone! I was wondering if olivem 1000 could have oleic acid, as I know that is not recommendable for seborrheic dermatitis.  Any ideas for any emulsionant suitable for an anti dandruff shampoo for oily hair? Thanks in advance

domy replied 6 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • johnb

May 12, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I cannot see any reason why Olivem (of any designation) or oleic acid has any place in a shampoo.

What is the idea behind this and what other ingredients do you intend using?

• maysun

May 12, 2017 at 2:42 pm
    Thanks for the super fast response. Excuse me, I forgot to add the complete formula:

Akyl polyglucosyde 

%

sodium coco sulfate 22

SCI                                                                                                    

Cetearyl Alcohol  2
    Olivem 1000 – Cetearyl olivate, Sorbitan olivate 5
     Coco-caprylate 3
    Peg 40  3
    Caprylic / capric triglycerides 3
    Glycerin 5

Sodium Lactate 3
    provitamin B5 3
    Hydrolysed silk  1
    Acid Salicylic 1
    Powdered almond milk -Prunus dulcis oil, Rice maltodextrin, Acacia Senegal gum 1
    Fragrance 1
    Total Amount 100

• maysun

May 12, 2017 at 2:49 pm

If you think olivem is useless I can leave it out. Not a problem. As olivem is a derivative of olive I thought that it could have oleic acid, and I don´t want my shampoo to have it The idea was to make a creamier shampoo, but as you can notice I am still learning.  :)

• johnb

May 12, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I doubt that Olivem will add anything positive to your formula. Likewise PEG40.

Coco-caprylate and Caprylic / capric triglycerides are quite similar in constitution. Do you need both?

What is the purpose of the salicylic acid? It will react with the sodium lactate and become pretty much inert.

What is the A/D active?

Where is the preservative?

• maysun

May 12, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I was thinking in using phenonip as a preservative, but I am still searching for  better options. The purpose of salycilic acid was to act as an  exfoliant. But if it reacts with sodium lactate I can replace it with something else. I am using Coco-caprylate and Caprylic / capric triglycerides together because I have less quantity of coco-caprylate than Caprylic / capric triglycerides in my workshop (to spend the ingredients that I have). Could you ,please, tell me what is an A/D active? I speak spanish, I don´t know if I don´t know it because of the translation or if I don´t know what it is at all. The formula is still a draft, I can add or leave out anything if it´s necessary.

• maysun

May 12, 2017 at 4:29 pm

If with A/D active you mean the anti dandruff and/or anti sebum active, I was thinking about adding a blend of essential oils (tea tree, salvia sclarea and distilled lime)  to act as a fragance and actives at the same time. I can also add willow bark extract. 

• belassi

May 12, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Where to start … 
    1 A typical shampoo might have as much as 30% surfactant content, not usually more, and more typically, 20-25%. You appear to be using 69% surfactant??

2 No need for any of these:

Cetearyl Alcohol  2
    Olivem 1000 – Cetearyl olivate, Sorbitan olivate 5
    Coco-caprylate 3
    Peg 40  3
    Caprylic / capric triglycerides 3
    Glycerin 5

Powdered almond milk

Oh wait, it is supposed to be solid… OK. But comment (2) still applies.

• MarkBroussard

May 12, 2017 at 5:15 pm

This is a really difficult formulation for someone without quite a bit of experience.  I would suggest you make your life easier and formulate a straightforward shampoo with effective A/D actives and forget about a cream-type shampoo formulation.

• maysun

May 12, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. You have been very helpful  :)

• domy

May 14, 2017 at 1:31 pm

You can make other hair shampo formulation. Not creamy