Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Olivem 1000, help!!

• Olivem 1000, help!!

Posted by mmarr on May 2, 2023 at 7:53 pm

Hi everyone, i need some opinions/suggestions.. i had worked with olivem 1000 as our main emulsifier and peg-100 stearate & glyceryl stearate as co emulsifier for our lotion. we also use sepinov emt 10 as thickener to control the viscosity. During lab scale we didnt saw this problem, but when we start do production i wonder why the viscosity for every batches are differs. we viscosity keep not reach the one that we desire. Anyone have any suggestion? thank you in advance

ggpetrov replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • evchem2

May 3, 2023 at 7:32 am

You probably need to provide more information- did you have equivalent mix energy from lab scale to production? That’s the most likely culprit in my eyes. Did you change raw materials lots/sources, order of addition, or rate of cooling? Also when are you checking the viscosity, sometimes it can take a day or two to reach final levels

• ggpetrov

May 4, 2023 at 8:20 am

There could be a lot of reasons. Olivem 1000 sometimes is a bit tricky, so it’s better to share your formula and workflow to get a proper advices. Also in my experience i’ve never had a sucsessful emulsion when I try to combine ethoxylated and non ethoxylated emulsifiers.

• Graillotion

May 4, 2023 at 4:46 pm

” i’ve never had a sucsessful emulsion when I try to combine ethoxylated and non ethoxylated emulsifiers.”

Huh???

• mmarr

May 4, 2023 at 10:44 pm

but olivem 1000 and peg-100 stearate & glyceryl stearate both are ethoxylated/non-ionic emulsifier right, should be compatible

• Graillotion

May 5, 2023 at 12:27 am

OM 1000 is not ethoxylated… Only Peg 100 is.

• mmarr

May 5, 2023 at 12:32 am

can i ask details differences between ethoxylated and non-ethoxylated?

• mmarr

May 5, 2023 at 12:34 am

coz actually, i can get nice emulsion when combining this two. no issue so far with separation, just the viscosity issue

• ggpetrov

May 5, 2023 at 8:28 am

Usually the workflow is different. But I can’t imagine why you need a co emulsifier for Olivem 1000 since it’s a stand alone one, and it already contains a fat phase stabilizers. Also you are using a proper gelling agent, aren’t they both sufficient?

• mmarr

May 8, 2023 at 7:14 pm

because i think percentage of olivem 100 i out in the formulation not enough, and adding peg-100 stearate to increase stabilization and also trying to reduce cost.

• ggpetrov

May 9, 2023 at 8:59 am

Depending of what you are trying to achieve, there are different options to avoid the using of Olivem. It’s expensive, yes. But the haptics of Olivem when it’s used properly are incomparable with the Lotion pro ones. Me personally find it too heavy and waxy on the skin, no matter of the workflow and the fat phase. But that’s my opinion.

• mmarr

May 4, 2023 at 10:42 pm

thanks everyone, after few days, the viscosity increase back. i think it really need some time to settle down and achieve the viscosity