Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Naturally compliant preservatives.

Tagged: 

  • Naturally compliant preservatives.

    Posted by Rockstargirl on April 24, 2021 at 1:08 pm

    formulating for a “natural” clients line. not where i have a lot of experience. i am having trouble choosing a preservative system as im unfamiliar with most of the natural ones. product is 20% water and will be used by wet hands in a humid environment. im recomending phenoxyethenol but thier preference is Spectrastat G2-N or Euxyl K712. ill test them both but please someone give me a level of confidence this isnt going to be a pot of mold!! whos used these?

    Rockstargirl replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • philgeis

    Member
    April 24, 2021 at 1:45 pm

    Arghhh - “natural” for any of these is such BS, and please know whenever you see “strong, broad spectrum activity…”, it’s the marketing guys at work.

    What is the product? pH?  Pretty confident neither “preference” does anything but leavie big hole for some bug’s contamination - even phenoxy alone is not enough.   

  • Rockstargirl

    Member
    April 24, 2021 at 2:01 pm

    PhilGeis said:

    Arghhh - “natural” for any of these is such BS, and please know whenever you see “strong, broad spectrum activity…”, it’s the marketing guys at work.

    What is the product? pH?  Pretty confident neither “preference” does anything but leavie big hole for some bug’s contamination - even phenoxy alone is not enough.   

    yeah thats what im afraid if. its a shower balm. ph 5.5 they freaked out over germall. its actually thier retailers that ban these things and every retail has a different list. ive proposed anyhydrous cleansing grains instead. 
    if anything this is a fasinating experience if irrationallity lol

  • ozgirl

    Member
    April 26, 2021 at 11:23 pm
    If they will accept Benzyl Alcohol you could try Euxyl K903.
  • RedCoast

    Member
    April 27, 2021 at 1:07 am
    You may be better off going anhydrous. Water-free beauty products are becoming more popular, particularly with the “natural” market. This could save you from some headaches if your clients’ preferred retailer lists more “unacceptable” preservatives in the near future, or if your clients get more paranoid about ingredients in general.
    Just out of curiosity… do they accept dehydroacetic acid? It’s common in many “natural”  products, but not everyone accepts it.
  • philgeis

    Member
    April 27, 2021 at 11:34 am

    RedCoast said:

    You may be better off going anhydrous. Water-free beauty products are becoming more popular, particularly with the “natural” market. This could save you from some headaches if your clients’ preferred retailer lists more “unacceptable” preservatives in the near future, or if your clients get more paranoid about ingredients in general.
    Just out of curiosity… do they accept dehydroacetic acid? It’s common in many “natural”  products, but not everyone accepts it.

    Good point.  It’s important to understand what synthetic preservatives they accept as “natural”.   Clients honest is other ways, so eagerly accept the marketing scam.

  • Rockstargirl

    Member
    April 27, 2021 at 6:57 pm

    RedCoast said:

    You may be better off going anhydrous. Water-free beauty products are becoming more popular, particularly with the “natural” market. This could save you from some headaches if your clients’ preferred retailer lists more “unacceptable” preservatives in the near future, or if your clients get more paranoid about ingredients in general.
    Just out of curiosity… do they accept dehydroacetic acid? It’s common in many “natural”  products, but not everyone accepts it.

    Thanks! it’s exactly what I ended up doing. I still used phenoxyethenol for the whole pot in a shower situation.

  • Rockstargirl

    Member
    April 27, 2021 at 6:58 pm

    ozgirl said:

    If they will accept Benzyl Alcohol you could try Euxyl K903.

    ozgirl said:

    If they will accept Benzyl Alcohol you could try Euxyl K903.

    Thanks - I tried this in my original version (20% water). I still fell safer removing the water.

Log in to reply.