Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Looking to enhance the mold protection of Euxyl PE 9010 at 6.0 pH.

• Looking to enhance the mold protection of Euxyl PE 9010 at 6.0 pH.

Posted by Graillotion on October 21, 2020 at 6:36 am

I am making a facial cream and I wish to enhance the mold protection.  I am using Euxyl 9010, and wish to keep that preservative, but would like to strengthen the mold protection.
    The natural choices prefer a lower finished pH.  Due to Niacinamide, I am keeping the pH around 6.
    I do not wish to include parabens.  Was hoping for a single, simple add. that functioned at 6.0 pH.  Any thoughts?

biofm replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jemolian

October 21, 2020 at 8:35 am

How about Phenylpropanol or Phenetyl Alcohol? Though both has a rose fragrance to it. I believe Phenylpropanol is lighter in terms of fragrance based on the comments here:
    https://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/comment/39535#Comment_39535

• Graillotion

October 21, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Phenethyl alcohol has peaked my interest.

Are there any commonly available preservative pre-mixes…that already include this, or is it always added separately since it might not mix well?  (A mix that will function well around a 6.0 pH.)

• jemolian

October 22, 2020 at 12:42 am

From the results on ulprospector there are some blends, but i didn’t manage to find any when googling, so i’ll probably buy the Phenethyl alcohol separately. 

I’ve tested with the Phenylpropanol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin from Making Cosmetics, the fragance wise i’m fine with it but if when using plant oils, you won’t be able to smell it anymore. Not sure if Phenethyl alcohol will be the overwhelmed by plant oils. Also Phenylpropanol make my skin tingle, not sure if Phenethyl alcohol would. I’m hoping not. If not i would have to stick to PE 9010 and perhaps use a booster. 

• Graillotion

October 22, 2020 at 12:59 am

jemolian said:

From the results on ulprospector there are some blends, but i didn’t manage to find any when googling, so i’ll probably buy the Phenethyl alcohol separately. 

I’ve tested with the Phenylpropanol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin from Making Cosmetics, the fragance wise i’m fine with it but if when using plant oils, you won’t be able to smell it anymore. Not sure if Phenethyl alcohol will be the overwhelmed by plant oils. Also Phenylpropanol make my skin tingle, not sure if Phenethyl alcohol would. I’m hoping not. If not i would have to stick to PE 9010 and perhaps use a booster. 

Well the funny thing in all this….the fragrance of choice for the cream was going to be… Bulgarian Rose absolute.  I was having a bit of problem with the scent sticking (at low rate), so Phenethyl alcohol….might just be the absolute, (pun intended) solution for this cream.  ;) 

• biofm

November 5, 2020 at 7:46 pm

sodium levulinate does wonders as a preservative for cosmetics.