Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Is it ok to leave 100ppm hypochlorite in tank after sanitization

Tagged: ,

• Is it ok to leave 100ppm hypochlorite in tank after sanitization

Posted by Abdullah on May 8, 2023 at 6:26 am

I have 5 500L and 1000L tanks that i make cleansing Products regularly. Sometimes sales are low and i dont produce high quantity of products so dont use all tanks. Sometimes some tanks are not used for several months.

I sanitize tanks with 100ppm hypochlorite for 30 minutes before each use and also after production if i know that i will not produce another batch next day in that tank.

Our tanks have cap but they are not air tight.

My question is: if i don’t use a tank for several months, is it ok and good idea to sanitize it with 100ppm hypochlorite and leave the hypochlorite there and don’t rinse it to better protect the tank from any type of bacteria or fungal or it is not a good idea to leave the hypochlorite there?

Abdullah replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

May 8, 2023 at 10:48 am

Hypochlorite can pit stainless steel on standing, so take this under consideration. Otherwise, if HDPE, fiberglass, other material is in place, no problem. Now it will reduce to all water given enough time standing, wherein you have standing water inside your tank. Not good, right?

• Abdullah

May 8, 2023 at 6:56 pm

Good

I will not have standing water in it. I usually just spray hypochlorite inside the tank for 30 minutes and then rinse with process water.

For these tanks i want to spray hypochlorite, dont rinse it and let it dry there. Is this ok?

Tanks are metal but not SS. I don’t know the metal name in english but it is commonly used for water storage in houses.

• chemicalmatt

May 9, 2023 at 12:30 pm

Likely carbon steel, which is even more susceptible to corrosion from oxidizers. For a brief 30 minutes sanitizing cycle though, no problem.

• Abdullah

May 9, 2023 at 8:58 pm

Got it.

So it is not a good idea.

• PhilGeis

May 10, 2023 at 11:13 am

30 minutes and rinsed. What is quality of your rinse water.

• PhilGeis

May 11, 2023 at 6:33 am

Other bacteria including Burkholderia - and any Gram negative bacteria.

• Abdullah

May 11, 2023 at 6:56 am

Thanks

How can i check for water contamination?

And more important, what is the least expensive way to make the water contamination free?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  Abdullah.
  • PhilGeis

May 11, 2023 at 8:53 am

Heat may not be cheap but works best.

You could use your process water - that offers no more risk than niormal making.

• Abdullah

May 11, 2023 at 10:28 am

Got it

Thanks 😊

• PhilGeis

May 11, 2023 at 10:36 am

But drain the tank af rinsing. Do not want a volume of any water sitting beyond 6-8 hours - growing bugs

• Abdullah

May 11, 2023 at 8:12 pm

Got it

Thanks you