Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate

• Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate

Posted by Graillotion on June 15, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Every re-packer out there sells an emulsifier with the following INCI: Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate.

Question…. Is it safe to assume these are all the same ratio?  (And will therefore preform the same?)  I am guessing these all originate from just 2-3 manufacturers. (maybe less.)

chemicalmatt replied 3 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ozgirl

June 16, 2020 at 2:27 am
    Never assume they are the same. They most likely are very similar but it is always best to test before making the change. 
    INCI does not guarantee the same composition.
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    June 16, 2020 at 2:27 pm

@Graillotion 

You’re probably right, but to find out for certain contact the supplier and ask.   Sometimes suppliers will state in their brochure/on their website what proportions they are as well. 

Two ingredients with the same INCI name can be very different materials, e.g. dimethicone describes a silicone chain, but the chain lengths can be very different meaning viscosity ranges from 0.65 cS to 1 million cS with the same INCI - clearly these will not be interchangeable within a formulation!

• Graillotion

June 16, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Thank you all.

Yes I was very aware that the INCI order only told me which was the primary and which was the secondary ingredient.  But what I was asking, since most industry works on economies of scale….was it probable that all were the same?

Thank you.

• Pharma

June 18, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Every re-packer out there sells an emulsifier with the following INCI: Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG 100 Stearate.

Question…. Is it safe to assume these are all the same ratio?  (And will therefore preform the same?)  I am guessing these all originate from just 2-3 manufacturers. (maybe less.)

Emulsifier 165 is produced by several manufacturers and hence, proportions aren’t the same for everyone. However, if you know the manufacturer, check his pure glyceryl stearate and PEG-100 stearate (should they A: have both in stock and B: use the same glyceryl stearate for the 165 blend -> check MSDS). With the given HLB values of all three, it’s possible to get an approximate estimate of the used proportions.
    Else, run an HLB or better yet an HLD scan to compare different batches.
  • chemicalmatt

June 19, 2020 at 4:54 pm

The original McCoy was Arlacel 165 from Atlas > ICI > Croda. That was 2:1 GMS:PEG-100 Stearate. All the rest are based on that. Like Pharma said if your supplier atates a HLBvalue you can back-calculate and et the ration too.