Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Euxyl PE9010 Question

• Euxyl PE9010 Question

Posted by DavidW on May 20, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I know one should take a better approach than this.  However I am looking for a 1 stop through it in and forget it preservative that is approved in the EU.  Currently we use Germall Plus Liquid, 0.5% in most products and you know you are safe (none of the products have a lot of amino acids or other bug food).  I need to know if Euxyl PE9010 can be used in the same way.  If not what can be that will cover for yeast, mold, bacteria.  I need something for leave on products and wash off

DavidW replied 8 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • MarkBroussard

May 20, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Euxyl PE910 will cover you in most situations except when you have Polysorbates.

Euxyl K900 … Benzyl Alcohol/Ethylhexylglycerin is another good choice.

Benzyl Alcohol/Dehydroacetic Acid

Either of those three with a touch of Citric Acid and Dissolvine GL-47 and you’re covered in most instances.

• Bill_Toge

May 20, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Euxyl PE9010 is an exceptionally reliable preservative in appropriate products; it’s best suited for creams and lotions as its solubility in water is low

also, avoid using it in surfactant-based products (shampoos, shower gels etc.) as its efficacy is reduced

Lonza’s Glydant Plus is substantially water-miscible and is also very reliable, though as with Germall Plus, you can’t use it in products for children under 3 within the EU, because it contains iodopropynyl butylcarbamate

• DavidW

May 21, 2015 at 1:16 am

Thank you both for your responses.  These products are geared towards body builders so no problem with children under 3.  I don’t think the customer currently has any body wash, shampoo etc…  Most are self tanning lotions, mousse products which do contain 1% or so of SLS or polysorbate to activate the foaming

• Ruben

May 21, 2015 at 4:16 pm

@MarkBroussard Do you get your preservatives directly from Schulke? I assume they sell only large quantities.

• MarkBroussard

May 21, 2015 at 5:16 pm

@Ruben:

Yes, I buy directly from Schuelke.  Acutally, depending on the product, you can get 10Kg pails.  I do not know if there are any Schuelke “repackers” to obtain even smaller amounts.  I am not aware of any.

• cherri

May 26, 2015 at 8:30 pm

try euxyl 9010 1 % and potassium sorbate to kill mold

• DavidW

May 27, 2015 at 1:31 am

Doesn’t 9010 take care of mold too?

• Microformulation

May 27, 2015 at 1:45 am

PE9010 does have yeast/mold coverage. It is recommended to always use it with a chelant. Many do not know, but if you use the Schulke products, Schulke will perform testing for you. You just have to ship it to them. You can contact Schulke’s rep (McCullough in our region). I did ask the Schulke representative about using PE9010 with small amounts of polysorbates. They did recommend using it at the highest level (depends if it is leave onor rinse off) and they had testing to support it. This was with polysorbates <3%.

• Microformulation

May 31, 2015 at 2:42 am
  • DavidW

May 31, 2015 at 3:07 am

Thank you for the information.  I will contact Schulke when the time comes.  Thanks for the link too.