Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General CMC of ammonium lauryl sulfate. 136ppm or 767ppm?

• CMC of ammonium lauryl sulfate. 136ppm or 767ppm?

Posted by abdullah on November 16, 2022 at 2:37 am

These two products are both ammonium lauryl sulfate but CMC is very different in these two.

My question is
    What is the CMC of ammonium lauryl sulfate? 

136ppm or 767ppm? 

abdullah replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ketchito

November 16, 2022 at 11:37 am

@Abdullah If you compare both specs, the first one doesn’t have Ammonium chloride (or very little, 0.01%), while the second one has 0.22%. Inorganic chloridez have an impact on CMC of anionic surfactants (they reduce it), and that might explain why the second one has a lower CMC. What surprises me is the vistosity at 25°C of both (there seems to be a missmatch), but well.

• abdullah

November 16, 2022 at 4:17 pm

ketchito said:

@Abdullah If you compare both specs, the first one doesn’t have Ammonium chloride (or very little, 0.01%), while the second one has 0.22%. Inorganic chloridez have an impact on CMC of anionic surfactants (they reduce it), and that might explain why the second one has a lower CMC. What surprises me is the vistosity at 25°C of both (there seems to be a missmatch), but well.

Are you saying that ammonium chloride or sodium chloride reduces the CMC of ALS, SLS or SLES? 

Their viscosity difference surprised me too. Big difference.