Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Barrier ingredient to make mica safe?

  • Barrier ingredient to make mica safe?

    Posted by katefmakeup on August 16, 2016 at 4:00 am

    Hello there! I am a professional makeup artist and curious brain haver. I am interested in learning how to make my own makeup just for fun and for personal use. I want to make a simple liquid highlighter using mica and a lightweight oil, but I have heard that mica is toxic and needs some kind of barrier ingredient in order to not be absorbed into the skin? Any suggestions on what kind of ingredient I should add to my mica and oil in order to make it non-toxic? Thanks in advance!

    bill_toge replied 7 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • bill_toge

    Member
    August 16, 2016 at 7:42 am

    cosmetic-grade micas are perfectly safe to use as is

    where did you hear they were toxic?

  • katefmakeup

    Member
    August 16, 2016 at 10:31 pm

    I was told by someone that works in geology (not a geologist, just works in the field) that when you mix mica with oil it starts a chemical reaction and the mica starts to break down which is toxic and the oil gives the mica a method of being absorbed into the skin. They said that I needed to add some kind of barrier ingredient to keep the mica from being absorbed, like polybutene or something? I’m not positive polybutene was what they said that just sounds right lol. Is this all nonsense?

  • microformulation

    Member
    August 16, 2016 at 10:55 pm

    This is nonsense. I think as you read more about the materials in the scope of Cosmetic use you will quickly see how they are safe for use.

  • belassi

    Member
    August 17, 2016 at 12:41 am

    Mica is a standard component in “bare mineral” makeup and perfectly safe but you don’t want to get larger flakes like glitter in your eyes.

  • katefmakeup

    Member
    August 17, 2016 at 6:08 pm

    I think the person was referring to when the mica is mixed with oil (grapeseed oil specifically) saying that is when the mica breaks down and becomes toxic. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me but I wanted to check with the experts before I poison myself lol.

  • bill_toge

    Member
    August 17, 2016 at 10:53 pm

    you were right to ask, it doesn’t make any sense!

Log in to reply.