Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating ANSI Z400.1-2004 - Material Safety Data Sheets - Testing Labs

• ANSI Z400.1-2004 - Material Safety Data Sheets - Testing Labs

Posted by MarkBroussard on September 25, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on test labs that conduct testing for MSDS?

ozgirl replied 6 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ozgirl

September 28, 2015 at 3:51 am

What kind of testing do you need for MSDS preparation?

• Bobzchemist

September 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Mark, I’m guessing that you need data for transportation, like a flash point, possibly VOC content, and some basic physical testing, like pH and specific gravity. I’d recommend Intertek (http://www.intertek.com/

• MarkBroussard

September 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm

@BobZ:

Thanks!  That’s what I’m looking for.  Appreciate it!
  • SkincareNYC

December 18, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Hi @MarkBroussard and @Bobzchemist !
    Can you please advise if SDSs are required to transport finished goods too or are they only necessary to transport bulk material?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

• Bobzchemist

December 19, 2017 at 2:55 am

It’s a gray area. As far as I know, they are not strictly required by federal regulation if your products are not hazardous. However, the vast majority of customers (stores, wholesalers, distributors, etc.) require them anyway, as a condition of doing business.

There are a number of services that will prepare SDS’s for you. If you can afford it, I’d suggest UL WERCS.

• ozgirl

December 19, 2017 at 4:39 am

@SkincareNYC

It depends on the product. Many cosmetics are also considered dangerous goods (e.g. aerosols. flammable liquids) for transport and would definitely require an SDS.

As Bobzchemist has mentioned it is definitely good business practice to have the SDS as you will likely need them at some point. You can usually combine different fragrances of the same product on the one SDS.

Hope this helps.