Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating anionic co surfactant 1+1=1

• anionic co surfactant 1+1=1

Posted by margi on September 8, 2019 at 8:09 am

Hallo there. 
    Ive found it to be a challenge trying to find a main surfactant for my shampoo.(no sulphates,paraben free, no silicones, halal, vegan etc)  Ive been on cosmos list and checked out ALLOT of the surfactants. But they all seem to be co surfactants. I need a surfactant that can be used in curly, dry hair shampoo. Its for personal use. But im also looking to making and selling shampoos one day. 
    So my question to you is. Would it be possible to take two anionic co surfactants and make them in to one anionic surfactant. And would it work like a anionic surfactant then (of course i dont think its goig to work as well as silicones or sulfates. But im not using those soo).  And if i can mix them does it matter witch ones?

And one last thing. If i shoudnt mix them can i use this surfactant?
    (22) Easy Natural Surfactant formula - YouTube

Thank you :)

(Yes ima noob)

margi replied 5 years ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

September 8, 2019 at 11:12 am

What is exactly the standard you are working with? Is it cosmos or self defined paraben free vegan-halal? It’s very hard to make non vegan shampoo. The majority of personal care products are vegan. Same with halal. The only way, that comes to my mind, to make a shampoo not halal is adding collagen protein which I don’t see in shampoos often. 
    Regarding co-surfactants, their purpose is to make main surfactant milder. The most common co-surfactant is CAPB. You can however make a shampoo for very sensitive scalp with CAPB only. Whether it’s going to work as well as tradition SLES/CAPB is a different question. So if you are willing to limit yourself with ‘free of’ formulations, which are already illegal way of marketing in the EU by the way,  it’s your decision. You can make a shampoo of ‘co-surfactants’ only. Coco glucoside, decyl glucoside and CAPB fit into all of your categories. 

• margi

September 8, 2019 at 11:40 am

Well i am working on making hair products to sell later in life. but i just felt it would be good to say i dont want the surfactant to have and sulfats, parabens, silicones. and i want it to be vegan (tho yes i know most of the ingridients are vegan :) ) just for the people who may read it to have the most info possible.
    I want to be with in the cosmos sertfied ingridients. 

My goal is actually to be a “free of” brand. But by EU do you mean Europe or EU(European Union) because my country is not in the EU its in EØS. And also is it oki to not market it as a “free of” brand, but still sell it as one? Would love to read more about it. 

Thank you for your answer its been to great help. 

• ngarayeva001

September 9, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Useful video on EU guidelines that can potentially be used by other countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d72myZZBYdQ

• Bill_Toge

September 9, 2019 at 10:32 pm

try them and see; the fact they are generally used as co-surfactants doesn’t mean they can’t be used as principal surfactants

• belassi

September 11, 2019 at 12:46 am

All surfactants have their properties and different sensorials. The only way to know what any blend will be like is by making and trying it.

• margi

September 11, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Thank you. Will do!
    Belassi
    Bill_Toge

• belassi

September 11, 2019 at 3:47 pm

I recommend trying BASF’s Plantapon LGC Sorb as one component - it’s Ecocert - and you can try alternative secondaries beginning with CAPB. Both are around 30% active so you’d need around 37% total surfactant. For a more conditioning effect you could replace CAPB with BASF’s Dehyton AB.

• margi

September 14, 2019 at 9:46 am

thank you again 

Chemists Corner