Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advice on Sepigel 305

• Advice on Sepigel 305

Posted by mix5 on September 29, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Hi all, new here, great to join this excellent forum.  I have been using Sepigel for creams etc but even at a concentration of 1.5%-2% the final product is quite sticky - which I definitely do not like.  Any advice?
    Many thanks in advice!

mix5 replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Paprik

September 30, 2022 at 12:59 am

Hello and welcome. :)

You would need to share your whole formula mate. Otherwise we won’t be able to help you.

• chemicalmatt

October 7, 2022 at 8:36 pm

May I state the obvious: stop using Sepigel.

• Graillotion

October 7, 2022 at 9:42 pm

What would you replace it with? RAPIDGEL EZ1?  ;)

• ketchito

October 10, 2022 at 12:39 pm

@mix5 Sepigel 305 is a great Robin (Chris O’Donnel), a good Sancho (Panza), a nice Melania (yikes!)….but let the heroes (Michael Keaton/Christian Bale) save the city and kiss the girl (Kim Bassinger, all the time). That means, use a monomeric emulsifier(s) at regular amount, and add Sepigel 305 at low amount (if needed, to boost stability and thickness).

• mix5

October 25, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Paprik said:

Hello and welcome. :)

You would need to share your whole formula mate. Otherwise we won’t be able to help you.

Thanks Paprik.  Stickiness is unfortunately not formula dependent.  Conditioners, thickening agents etc help little.  

• mix5

October 25, 2022 at 8:29 pm

What would you replace it with? RAPIDGEL EZ1?  ;)

@chemicalmatt, thanks for stating the obvious.  @Graillotion-  I appreciate your suggestion.  So Rapidgel EZ1 is PEG-6 (and) AMP-Acrylates/Vinyl Isodecanoate Crosspolymer.  Do you have experience with it - is it supposed to work better, i .e. not give you that sticky feel on the skin? 

• mix5

October 25, 2022 at 8:35 pm

ketchito said:

@mix5 Sepigel 305 is a great Robin (Chris O’Donnel), a good Sancho (Panza), a nice Melania (yikes!)….but let the heroes (Michael Keaton/Christian Bale) save the city and kiss the girl (Kim Bassinger, all the time). That means, use a monomeric emulsifier(s) at regular amount, and add Sepigel 305 at low amount (if needed, to boost stability and thickness).

@ketchito, what monomeric emulsifiers would you (kindly) suggest I try?  Thanks Much.  PS.  Loved the cinema/literature references 🙂

• mix5

October 25, 2022 at 8:41 pm

@chemicalmatt, that’s what I’ll probably do if I can’t find a solution.  But I would like to *find* a solution.  

• ketchito

October 26, 2022 at 2:45 pm

mix5 said:

ketchito said:

@ketchito, what monomeric emulsifiers would you (kindly) suggest I try?  Thanks Much.  PS.  Loved the cinema/literature references 🙂

@mix5 You could try with the universal PEG-100 stearate/Glyceryl stearate as a main emulsifier….and add a bit of Sepigel 305 at the end of the process, to increase both viscosity and stability.  

• mix5

October 26, 2022 at 6:00 pm

@ketchito, thanks much.