Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating 2000 rpm overhead mixer fast enough for proper emulsification?

• 2000 rpm overhead mixer fast enough for proper emulsification?

Posted by Zink on April 27, 2018 at 10:06 am

I’m looking for a new overhead mixer and the most readily available ones (used) are IKA models going up to 2000 rpm.

Is that enough to properly emulsify batches up to 800 ml using a 60 mm sawtooth impeller? In other words is the tip speed high enough? 6.28 meters per second if I’m not mistaken.

Emulsifers of interest are Montanov, BTMS and Ewax.

Zink replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • em88

April 27, 2018 at 10:35 am

You should check the motor power as well. Depending on the viscosity you are going to get with your projects, you should choose the right one. I’d suggest over 100W, probably 150W would be good.
    Regarding the speed, 2000 rpm should be enough.

• Bill_Toge

April 27, 2018 at 11:39 am

a rotor/stator mixer will do the job much better, as it forces the liquid through a small, well-defined gap, allowing the emulsion to be formed more easily; and at 2000 rpm, an overhead mixer will fill your batch with air

• Zink

April 27, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Thanks em88, since my batch size is typically 400 ml I’m not terribly concerned with wattage, but good to keep in mind.

@Bill_Toge know any homogenizers that can also be used as stirrers that can be found used/new for less than $500 in EU?