Forum Replies Created

Page 101 of 101
  • Bobzchemist

December 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm in reply to: Trying to get my foot in the door! HELP!

Don’t overlook the resources provided by Perry’s courses, either.

• Bobzchemist

December 30, 2013 at 12:46 pm in reply to: .

Since this is a homemade product for your personal use, you don’t have to worry about making a deodorant in a convenient package for a consumer. I would look into the elastomeric silicone gels mixed with volatile silicone as a carrier, maybe with a silicone resin/volatile silicone as an additional film former.

Triclosan, parabens, Kathon, zinc ricinoleate, etc. are potential antimicrobials/odor eliminators. You’l need to find a way of dispersing the powders - I’d suggest an immersion blender. 
  • Bobzchemist

December 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm in reply to: Stabilize Vitamin C

Keep it away from oxygen  and water…

• Bobzchemist

December 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm in reply to: Trying to get my foot in the door! HELP!

I know it’s frustrating. It may take a while. Don’t limit yourself to just one recruiter, but keep track of who sends your resume where. Get active on LinkedIn, also.

You have a few longer-term  options - first, you could try to identify a large company that’s hiring, that you want to work with. Take Avon, for example. Then, be persistent. Connect with their chemists and managers on LinkedIn, go to SCC meetings and network, etc.

Option 2 is to expand your search to include private label manufacturers and ingredient suppliers.
    Option 3 is to enroll in a Masters degree program that has good industry contacts and/or internships.
    Lastly, you might want to consider setting up a home lab and doing some formulation yourself.
  • Bobzchemist

December 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm in reply to: Equipment for cosmetic company

I have to point out to you that, at least at first glance, you’re talking about millions of dollars worth of equipment. And it sounds like you want to open a cosmetic manufacturing company. Personally, if I had that kind of money, I’d just buy a struggling, already running cosmetic manufacturing company - there are a few of them. Which brings me to my next point - you will be competing with all of them, and margins are razor-thin.

For the rest of your answers - you’re going to want to hire a consultant and/or a chemical engineer.
  • Bobzchemist

December 25, 2013 at 7:01 pm in reply to: Blemish Control cream formulation

Please be aware that making a product with Sal Acid and offering it for ale commercially without using the services of an expert formulator/chemist may open you and your company up to substantial liability. Honestly, please do not play around with ingredients that could potentially harm your customers until you build up more expertise in formulating.

If your doing this just for yourself, however, don’t let me stop you. Experimentation has led to many good products - just be careful.
  • Bobzchemist

December 25, 2013 at 6:33 pm in reply to: Trying to get my foot in the door! HELP!

Have you been working with recruiters?

• Bobzchemist

December 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm in reply to: Cosmetic chemist blog writers wanted

Please share details.

• Bobzchemist

December 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm in reply to: Triclosan Alternatives

Well, someone here is prescient:

FDA NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: Dec. 16, 2013
    Media Inquiries: Andrea Fischer, 301-796-0393, andrea.fischer@fda.hhs.gov
    Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA issues proposed rule to determine safety and effectiveness of antibacterial soaps
  • Bobzchemist

December 13, 2013 at 5:14 pm in reply to: Cosmetic science forums

The group I’m managing on LinkedIn is here:

Cosmetic Formulation & Development Professionals:
    I could definitely use some help getting more discussions going. Please feel free to join, comment , discuss…
    Robert Zonis 
  • I can see this getting to a point where we will have to require a “keep refrigerated” warning on all cosmetic and personal care items.

For some reason, the public just does not understand that unpreserved and under-preserved products go bad just like food does…
  • Bobzchemist

December 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm in reply to: Cosmetic science forums
    This group is fairly unique, both for the variety of questions asked and the helpfulness of the replies. The majority of other chemists in the industry that are on other sites seem to be quite reluctant to share experiences and advice. 
    I’ve definitely heard from a few people who’ve said flat out that when the give information/advice, they feel unappreciated due to the lack of thanks, and that they also resent questions that ask/demand information that the questioner should really have to pay a consultant for answers to. I’ve actually had a few folks get mad at me for giving answers that are too detailed - and they have a point.
    As a result, I only rarely give answers that cannot be found on the internet by a determined person with a basic knowledge of the industry. After all, why would someone hire me as a consultant if they can get their questions answered for free?
    On the other hand, since I don’t really have the ability or resources to attend meetings or publish articles, I don’t have any other way to become more widely known…

Other than this forum, there are several groups on linked in that are helpful. I even manage a group, but I have a lot of trouble getting others to contribute - it takes a surprising amount of time.

Robert
  • Bobzchemist

December 9, 2013 at 10:55 am in reply to: Welcome to the forum

I’m back, and I’m trying to align my online screen names, hence the change. 

I’ve been a cosmetic chemist for about 20 of my thirty years in the chemical/consumer products industry. Aside from cosmetics, I’ve also worked formulating fabric softeners, water treatment chemicals, mouthwash/toothpaste, ballpoint pen/permanent marker inks, and now soaps/floor wax/surfactant products.
    I’ve worked for both large cosmetic/personal care companies and small contract manufacturers. I’m currently working for a medium-sized natural products company that makes an eclectic range of products including soaps, shampoos/conditioners, sunscreens, disinfectants and many others.
    Robert Zonis
Page 101 of 101