Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Selling 50ml vs 100ml

• Selling 50ml vs 100ml

Posted by TheSocksTooBig on February 26, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to sell products in larger volume containers or the more traditional 50ml for face products/creams. I can’t find much information about the psyche of consumers with larger vs smaller product amounts. Please share your thoughts :) 

Thanks!

ozgirl replied 2 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Syl

February 26, 2022 at 5:34 pm

When make a purchase, I have value considerations in this order: ingredients, cost, container esthetics.
    Regarding container size: How quickly will I use this product? My bathroom counters are already cluttered!

If I was going to try a new brand, I would be more likely to buy a small container because of the total cost. I also find small containers to be very appealing (cute), especially glass jars.

I would buy a larger container, if I knew the brand, and felt it was a better value….
    For example, I buy 32 oz lotion containers because I like this brand, it is a better value than their smaller 12 oz, and because I go through them in 3-4 months.

• Mondonna

February 27, 2022 at 1:55 am

It depends on your target market. I wouldn’t suggest more than 60ml for facial lotions/creams. For serums, definitely less (~30ml). Check other brands that are comparable to yours and see what they sizes they offer. 

• Abdullah

February 27, 2022 at 7:39 am

As @Mondonna said, see what size your competitors use. Or what size the most selling product in that category use. 

• Pattsi

March 1, 2022 at 5:26 am

more beneficial 

More beneficial in what aspect? 

Size doesn’t matter - if it is very convincing in your marketing/story telling and you can make customers satisfied with what you’re offering. 

Maybe you could look into Marketing and Consumer Psychology. You may find your answers, why product A is 50 ml and product B is 100 ml.

You Are Not So Smart (2020) by David McRaney is quite a fun book to read.
    And many articles online available.

• OldPerry

March 1, 2022 at 3:09 pm

I agree with @Pattsi - The size probably doesn’t matter unless you’re way out of line with what the rest of the market is doing.  You could ask your customers what they want but this is the kind of unhelpful consumer research that tricks you into thinking you know something. No one really knows what motivates them to make a purchase. They may create a story they tell themselves when asked afterward but I don’t have much faith in these answers. 

The best thing you can do is to do a test with your consumer group. Sell one product in 50mL and the other in 100mL.  Then see which one results in more sales.

Also, I’m a big fan of You Are Not So Smart podcast!

• MarkBroussard

March 1, 2022 at 6:10 pm

@TheSocksTooBig

It all depends on the consumer base you’re trying to attract.  Many younger consumers prefer smaller unit sizes so they can test a product without spending a lot money.  If they like it, they will purchase a larger unit.

• ozgirl

March 2, 2022 at 1:53 am
    Another thing to consider is that 100ml will take longer to use than 50ml so your preservative needs to be robust to ensure sure that your product is stable after opening. If it is a cream in a jar, fingers will be dipped in every use meaning there is more potential for contamination in a larger size.

Chemists Corner