Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Dimethicone cst 350 in lipstick

• Dimethicone cst 350 in lipstick

Posted by Anonymous on October 27, 2015 at 9:21 am

Hi All, 

I am in progress of formulating a liquid lipstick. I am not a chemist, but have equipment and products I need to produce this lipstick/gloss, which will go for testing as soon as I am happy with it. 

I was wondering if there is a usage limit on Dimethicone 350 in lipstick? The recommended level is 1-10%, from the supplier, but I am using 60%

Is this level too high, is there is a danger in this? From my research, it seems there is no FDA limit, no EU regulation limit- but Dimeth. does get alot of bad reviews which makes me worry about my level usage. 

The reason I have used so much Dimeth is because my oil substitutes do not settle into the skin nicely. I have not managed to achieve the same results using oils such as vitamen E, Jojoba,coconut oil, and sweet almond oil. 

I would appreciate any advice, or links to research. I have googled and googled but find nothing specifically on usage levels and problems associated to usage being too high.  
    Bobzchemist replied 8 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Bobzchemist

October 27, 2015 at 1:45 pm

The bad press for Dimethicone is pure scaremongering. It’s very safe, and there’s no limit on how much you use. In fact, depending on the facility you make it at, you could claim an OTC monograph status for your product.

Some of the bad press originally comes from the use of Dimethicone in hair care, where it has a problem with build-up. This planted the seeds of “silicone=bad”, and the fear merchants were off to the races.
    The other thing to keep in mind, though, is that Dimethicone 350cst does not play nicely with many other lip product ingredients. As a result, there may be an extra charge for the additional clean-up time required from the manufacturer.
  • Anonymous

November 3, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Hi Bob, 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do have some formula issues with compatibility but most are issues that can solved with the correct quantities and mixing of the ingredients. 
    I do really appreciate your response, I have had sleepless nights about accidentally killing people with Dimethicone 350 cst. No one in my country can say why its so bad, everyone just believes its bad although I have found no evidence to support this,(for this specific silicon at least).
  • Bobzchemist

November 3, 2015 at 9:51 pm

The issue won’t be with your formulations compatibility among it’s own ingredients - it will be with other formulations compatibility with your formulation. Since yours has the potential to significantly degrade or even completely destroy the performance of other peoples products, the contract manufacturer will need to take extra special care in cleaning the manufacturing/filling equipment they use for your product as soon as they’re finished with your run. There will very probably be an additional charge for that extra cleaning.

Chemists Corner