Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Crystallization upon adding euxyl k701

• Crystallization upon adding euxyl k701

Posted by joowan11 on June 10, 2024 at 12:28 pm

Hello all!

It has certainly been a while since I have last visited this forum.

Anyway, I am conducting an investigation into the stability of L-ascorbic acid as part of my high school (IB) course.

Hence, I am also formulating a tocopherol+ferulic acid+L-AA serum. I have successfully managed to dissolve 0.5% ferulic acid in 10% propanediol and 5% ethanol. This [Phase A] was heated in a water bath with magnetic stirring for a few minutes until fully dissolved. However, It was also tested later and the ferulic acid also dissolved at room temp with magnetic stirring.

Into [Phase A], the ingredients of [Phase B] were added (for the details, refer to the image attached). This was stirred magnetically until clear.

Then, [Phase C] was added and stirred until all L-AA was dissolved.

A yellowish, clear solution was obtained.

Finally, [Phase D] was added. Unfortunately, this resulted in some crystals forming in the solution. This was stirred but only resulted in the solution becoming cloudy.

The pH was tested with a universal test strip - it was around 3-4. I can use a pH meter to test it, but only on wednesday because that’s when I’ll be back at the lab.

What could be the problem? What could the precipitate be? Any ways of mitigating this?

Also, I will experiment with different solubiliser proportions, as I want to reduce the polysorbate (sticky)

joowan11 replied 2 months, 4 weeks ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

Chemists Corner