Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How much AOS-40 can I use to avoid H318 eye damage hazard

• How much AOS-40 can I use to avoid H318 eye damage hazard

Posted by Mditty129 on July 12, 2024 at 12:40 pm

I’m making a body wash and want to use AOS-40 (Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate) at 15%. I’ve used this material at 30%+ in the past with no issue at all. However, our regulatory department is telling me I can’t use it because the H318 (eye damage) hazard pops up at that amount of AOS.

I had to lower the AOS to 3% to make the hazard go away. This does not seem right to me and I feel like I should be able to use this material at a higher level. Has anyone ever had this issue using AOS-40?

I’m playing around with other surfactant options but I really love the formula with AOS in it.

Microformulation replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Richard

July 13, 2024 at 12:51 am

I’ve come across the same issue before and had to move away from certain materials for this same reason. And yes 3% is where the Eye Corrosive classification passes on the product. Best you find some eye irritants only.

• Microformulation

July 13, 2024 at 9:54 am

You could get this information by speaking with Technical Services at Colonial Chemicals. Dennis there is pretty sharp.

Chemists Corner