Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry What are your predictions for the cosmetic industry in 2014?

• What are your predictions for the cosmetic industry in 2014?

Posted by oldperry on February 25, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I’ve been catching up on my podcast listening and noticed that a bunch of shows were posting their predictions for 2014 so, I thought it would be interesting to get your predictions for 2014.  Here are some of mine.

1.  There will be a recall of a significant brand due to microbial contamination.
    2.  The FDA will take no action on changing OTC rules despite saying that they will.
    3.  Walmart will not ban parabens.
    4.  Dial will launch a hair care brand
    5.  Avon will merge with Mary Kay
    Ok, those are mine.  What are your predictions?
    mikebavington replied 10 years ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • mikebavington

February 25, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I dont know about the U.S., but in Canada

1) Health Canada is going to increase regulation of natural health food stores and the products they sell

In Canada, the government can prevent you from getting healthcare in the public system (waiting lists) and now they are trying to increase regulation on alternative treatments. It never stops. Its amazing that dogs and cats in Ontario can receive private, for-profit care, but human beings cant.

• oldperry

February 25, 2014 at 9:50 pm

As a user of private, for-profit health care in the US I don’t think you’re missing much.

• bobzchemist

February 26, 2014 at 10:52 am
    1.  The FDA will start cracking down on excessive/misleading claims in OTC’s/sunscreens
    2.  The EWG and other NGO’s will find at least two more “toxic” chemicals to be hysterical about.
    3.  Avon will be forced into bankruptcy and/or be bought out by Amway.
    4. At least one other major cosmetic company will merge or be acquired by another one.
    5. The US economy will grow at less than 1%. Cosmetic industry sales as a whole will be flat or declining.
    6. Climate change will be finally accepted as fact by more than 50% of the US population, but the country as a whole will continue to do nothing about it.
    7. EU and US cosmetic regulations will move closer to harmonization.
  • Bati

March 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Only 2 new “toxic” chemicals? We’re not even into Summer. I’d say Vegas has a even money line on at least 5 new “toxic” chemicals discovered this year that will “end life as we know it if swift and furious action isn’t taken against the cosmetic industry”.

• chemicalmatt

March 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Perry, if your first point happens, and I’d have more than a little shadenfreude if it does, wouldn’t it be ironic if the public became alarmed over the LACK of preservation in cosmetics due to the continuing scares over alleged preservative toxicity? Might we finally see The Backlash?

Bob & Perry both have a point about the fate of Avon.  That ship is going down, one way or another.

And,Mike, I can agree with Perry.  Here in the Land of the Fee, we can still go bankrupt simply by getting ill.

• mikebavington

March 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm

My Aunt died while being denied healthcare in Canada. She paid $4000 in taxes for Healthcare every year and couldnt get an MRI scan in time. An MRI in the U.S. costs about $500 - $700.

• oldperry

March 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm
    Of course any specific case is anecdotal evidence but here is my recent experience.

I had an MRI in the US two years ago.  It cost me $4500 out of pocket. Total cost was a lot more but insurance covered it.  Insurance costs me ~$3600 a year.

• mikebavington

March 9, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Perry, if you or anyone else ever needs help getting cheaper rates for health procedures, I offer my assistance. I used to work for a Canadian company that did the same for Canadians on waiting lists in Ontario. We sent hundreds of people over to the U.S., most often Buffalo. I was able to get MRIs scheduled for Ontario patients for a shade under $500, on average.

If you shop around through a health broker and pay cash, the rates are often 3 or 4 times cheaper than what American hospitals charge American insurance companies, or some of their patients. I always get at least 30% off a hospitals rates because I negotiate ‘the hell’ out of their pricing. If they refuse to bring down their prices, I tell them I wont pay my bill after getting my procedure done. This always changes their attitude. Most hospitals in the U.S. also have extra capacity which enables them to offer lower pricing.

I begged my Aunt to let me take her to the U.S., but her Canadian doctor kept prescribing her pain pills and telling her she only had migranes. When she realized she was seriously ill and wanted to get an MRI or CAT scan, she was put on a waitiing list and by the time they got her in, it was too late.

In Canada, although many Canadians wont admit it, 15% of us dont have access to a family doctor. The average family of 4 pays $16,000 per year for coverage - $4,000 per capita; and as I said 1/6th of Canadians cant get a family doctor. At least when Americans pay thousands, they actually get health care.

When the A.C.A. becomes implemented in America, the same shortages are going to be produced in the U.S. Everyone will have coverage in America, in theory, but the waiting lists will become too long and people will be forced to leave the country to get the healthcare they need.