Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating PEG-150 DISTEARATE AS THICKENER IN SHAMPOOS

• PEG-150 DISTEARATE AS THICKENER IN SHAMPOOS

Posted by Lab on January 24, 2023 at 5:23 pm
    I got into my hands a product developed by the technical area of a company, more specifically a “natural” shampoo thickened with PEG-150 DISTEARATE, which didn’t seem to work very well for me. The information I have is that COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE and DECYL GLUCOSIDE were also used as surfactants (I don’t have access to the complete formula). So, the questions I raise are:
    - Is there any incompatibility between PEG-150 DISTEARATE and one of these surfactants (or other raw materials that come to your mind)? Found nothing in articles…
    - What is the best way to use this thickener in transparent “natural” shampoos? Are there any combinations that can increase your efficiency?
    I was informed that the process is hot, melting the PEG 150-DISTEARATE before pouring it under previously heated water. I believe that the surfactants are added during heating, but in a separate search I found information that there are formulators who add PEG 150 DISTEARATE directly to the surfactants… would that be correct/functional? I never tried it this way.
    I did some prior forum searching and found this thread, but from what I’m told PEG-150 DISTEARATE is the only thickener in the formulation.
    Thank you all for your time and patience!  :)
    Robert replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Abdullah

January 25, 2023 at 3:35 am

I will start with 0.5%.
    Decyl glucoside reduces viscosity.

I will add it at the end after everything else has been mixed.

• Lab

January 25, 2023 at 10:44 am

Abdullah said:

I will start with 0.5%.

Thank you for the reply! I’ll try to reproduce the same shampoo and see if it stays the same or better 

• Robert

January 25, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Abdullah said:

I will start with 0.5%.

I do not think decyl can reduce viscosity, it just not thicken enough so I suggest lauryl glucoside to give higher viscosity