Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Mixing Emulsifyers, Olivate 100 and Varisoft EQ 65?

Tagged: 

• Mixing Emulsifyers, Olivate 100 and Varisoft EQ 65?

Posted by PeaceLoveNaturals on June 3, 2020 at 5:09 pm

I have two emulsifying blends I was going to use together but didnt know if it would be beneficial as they both contain a “ceteryl” ingredient. One is alcohol and the other olivate? Im not sure how these are different aside from coming from different origins?
    Ultimatley I was going to use Olivate 1000 with Varisoft EQ65. I heard Olivate may be a more “natural” alternative to BTMS-50. 

PeaceLoveNaturals replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • letsalcido

June 3, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Go simple, try them separately. Test for stability and choose what works best in your formula.

If you want to also try them combined, go ahead. And test a third prototype. If there is no discernible difference, you’re probably better off having to source one product only instead of two.

• Pharma

June 3, 2020 at 7:48 pm
    Olivate 1000 is that like Olivem 1000? Likely so… Anyway, that one is a emulsifier which contains a ‘wax’ and a nonionic low HLB emulsifier: why exactly the blend has a medium HLB suitable for o/w is a mystery to me, maybe due to impurities such as free fatty acids?).
    Varisoft EQ65 is a real alternative to BTMS-50 because it’s a conditioning quaternary ammonium compound like any other, just from renewable resources and, more importantly, it’s readily biodegradable. Olivem 1000 ain’t a good alternative for a quat. It may be useful in a conditioning/styling product (ask someone else what he/she thinks, I dunno) but it won’t have the slip a quat imparts. Varisoft EQ65 has exactly that ;) .
    Both products contain identical parts but that’s like comparing bikes with cars just because they both have wheels. Their composition, effect, and behaviour are entirely different and hence, there’s no reason not to combine them. Whether there is reason to combine them is up to you to decide.
  • PeaceLoveNaturals

June 21, 2020 at 5:52 pm

@letsalcido thank you :)

• PeaceLoveNaturals

June 21, 2020 at 6:03 pm

@Pharma lol omg yes i meant olivem! Thank you that makes sense. Still figuring out what everything is and does. Thank you