Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Help with Scaling Up to 100Kgs

Tagged: 

• Help with Scaling Up to 100Kgs

Posted by Thota on April 18, 2020 at 8:54 am

Hi,

I am planning to scale up my production to 100Kg Batch size. 
    I am making my products in 2 sizes serums- 20Kg and Moisturisers -40Kg batch sizes - using Stock pots, Comercial Induction Cooktops and Waring Stick Blenders. 

Now I need to Scale up my Serums to 40Kg and Moisturisers to 100Kg. We have 12 products and making them every month is getting very hectic for me. 

I am thinking of doubling the batch size and Investing in a triple action kettle. 
    Because making a 50 kg thick cream is such a pain to add ingredeints in the cool down phase, need side sweeping action.

But wondering does a single triple action process vessel does the job, Since I am using 2 phases, one oil, one water So should I also ask for one more vessel with a stirrer for the oil phase? 

Any advice on setting up a new manufacturing plant?  My plant and Hvacs are costing me $25K. Have a budget of $20K for the Process vessels and another $5K for other stuff. (I am not based in US).

Pls help,
    Thank you So much,
    Bindu

ariepfadli replied 2 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • EVchem

April 20, 2020 at 5:26 pm

I’d say the extra vessel for the oil phase is needed. You generally want to premix all your oils and  may need to heat/stir to make sure that phase is homogeneous before you add it to water phase. Could be used to do other things like hydrate some materials. You can buy a diaphragm/transfer pump to move things over.

I don’t know enough about setting up a whole plant, but I think advice will depend on your needs (volume, do you fill/label/ship, what other machinery do you have, regulations)

• klangridge

April 21, 2020 at 7:52 am

You may be able to melt your oil phase in your water phase and then homogenise - would need testing on a smaller scale (say 1kg) first to make sure, but some manufacturers manage it with conditioners so it might also be feasible for moisturisers. Then you don’t lose material when transferring between vessels, and you have less cleaning to do.

• Thota

April 21, 2020 at 9:22 am

Thanks so much for the response @EVchem.

Extra vessel for oil phase makes total sense. Sometimes we need validation when spending money. Some suppliers are even suggesting 3 phase vessel and can calling them ointment making machine - 1 for process, 1 for oil phase, 1 for water phase. 

I already have one jacketed vessel with conical bottom, I think i need to attach transfer pump to it. 

We fill, label and ship, so already considering a semi automatic cream filling machine and labelling machine.

@klangridge
    Losing material while transfer and calculating loss is a big thing. Single phase vessel is anyones dream. But I discovered only conditioner and cleansing creams can be done so due to less oil content and more emulsifier content in them. 

I know some people are talking about single pot emulsions, but that is very emulsifier specific and doesn’t ensure great results compared to 2 phase process.

I am an industry outsider. Never been to a cosmetic manufacturing plant but a small business owner who wants to set up my own unit rather than outsource it to others. Most of the stuff are learnt online through various courses. 

So always figuring out stuff. 

• ariepfadli

October 4, 2021 at 4:57 am

i do my mixing in batch 200kg, daily for up to 2tons only use plastic drum, i just heating oil phase and half of water till boiling with ordinary stove then mixer with high shear mixer,  make sure proper emulsification done, then add remain water with slight mixing , then cooling down, whole my mixing equpment cost no more than 3000USD, im produce hair mask, conditioner and  perm cream

• ketchito

October 4, 2021 at 1:40 pm

@Thota I used to make an emulsion with both the water and the oil phase in the same reactor. We managed to adjust the configuration in a way that they both could be mixed in the same vessel, so maybe you could try that (one important thing is that you need a cap on top of the vessel, so vapor heat is not lost and can help melt the waxes that will be on top of the water phase). 

• Abdullah

October 5, 2021 at 2:45 am

i do my mixing in batch 200kg, daily for up to 2tons only use plastic drum, i just heating oil phase and half of water till boiling with ordinary stove then mixer with high shear mixer,  make sure proper emulsification done, then add remain water with slight mixing , then cooling down, whole my mixing equpment cost no more than 3000USD, im produce hair mask, conditioner and  perm cream

@ariepfadli 
    Was the remaining water hot or rome temperature?

What is the maximum size of your oil phase?

When and how you add water phase thickener and stabilizer and and what ingredient do you use? 

• ariepfadli

October 5, 2021 at 8:07 am

40kg for oil phase, remaining water room temp, water phase thickener during emulsification process
    This list my ingredient:

AQUA
    STEARIMONIUM CHLORIDE/MICONIUM STAC
    PEG-75 LANOLIN
    CETYL STEARYL ALCOHOL / ECOSOL 68 :30
    WHITE OIL
    GMS
    CASTOR OIL /SWEET ALMOND OIL
    Red and Blue dye
    Cationic Guar gum
    PQ7
    PQ10