W/O lip balm

edited January 2014 in Formulating
Hi Fellow Chemists!
I am planning on making a lip balm with 5-10% water content --- because of water soluble actives. Im planning to use sorbitan oleate in the formula to make sure the water phase is incorporated fine.. 
Do you guys think this is achievable? Last time I tried it, there were a lot of bubbles in the formula and the lip balm stick didnt pour in well. 

Any advice/thoughts would be highly appreciated! 

Comments

• Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    No harm in trying, though another good choice I could think of is polyglyceryl 3 diisostearate.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Worth a shot.  But you need to include a preservative with that much water.
  • @milliachemist Ill give that a shot too.. I have more of a natural/whole foods compliant products background --- so I am not too familiar with synthetics and end up using more naturals than would like to. Thanks for the recommendation! :)
    @ perry didn't think I would need a preservative with just 5% water.. oops! Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to add some next time. 
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    How do you feel about Lanolin?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Bobzchemist, are you suggesting using lanolin to solubilize the actives or stabilize the W/O?
  • I know you want to stay 'natural', but could you add cyclomethicone to your formula to help with the pour-in and the bubbles?
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    stabilize the W/O. By itself, lanolin can carry a few percent of water.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • I have had luck using liquid lecithin (8%) in a lip balm formula to incorporate 3.5% hydrous material. (Including NataPres--a ferment-based preservative--at .5%.) You need to blend the lecithin and water-y material separately, until they completely combine, before you start melting in the anhydrous ingredients.

After five months, the balm is still intact. This is just for my personal use, however, and I've made many other balm formulas since---so I haven't scrutinized the product very closely. Good Luck