SPF 100 possible or not possible?

jrusso531jrusso531 Member
edited January 2014 in Formulating

New client wants an SPF100 (international client) marketing has agreed, I have not... am I being ridiculous?

Comments

• I did a quick google search. Although I think EWG overstates toxicity concerns of most ingredients, they have uploaded an interesting article on their website. It is worth a read, I think.

Here is the link:

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    You are not being ridiculous, you are the voice of reason! You should draw them that famous graph that exhibits the SPF value as asymptotic from number 45 onwards!  A picture might be worth a thousand words here.  Also, regardless of chemical sensititvity issues, do you think it is possible for a human test panel to validate that SPF value?  Might be nigh impossible, and certainly VERY expensive.  Good luck.
  • There have been SPF100 products around for years, eg http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun/spf+100-.do?nType=1

Even before the SPF race in the US (which was about 8 years ago now) there were products that tested up around that level but not claimed - even here in Australia where the limit at the time was 30+

But most markets limit the claim to 50+
  • I'm just worried if I actually give into this project and they send it for testing and it won't be anywhere near the 100 mark.
  • pmapma Member
    Totally possible! Specially if the product isn't for the US market. I'm seeing even SPF 130 sunscreens. But you'll need high performance filters, like Tinosorb M and S, Uvinul A Plus, Uvinul T 150 etc. Basf sells a lot wonderful UV filters. A W/Si emulsion also boosts the SPF a lot!

With 8% of TiO2, 7% of OMC, 2% TNSB-M, 3% of TNSB-S and 2% of Uvinul-A Plus in a W/Si emulsion you will achieve something near SPF 100. Less (maybe 60) if your emulsion is a traditional O/W emulsion. 

Too much filters? I don't think so. 22%, 8% being inorganic... In the US many sunscreens have much more UV filters and offer low SPF's, since there are just a few (and not so good) filters approved there... 

Anyway, your formula will be very expensive! 

• Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    @pma If it is a w/si emulsion then I suppose coated TiO2 has to be used.
  • pmapma Member
    edited January 2014
    Milliachemist: yes!