For anyone who was wondering how makeup/color products are milled in production.(You have to look at all the pictures, not just the main one)
This is a Fitz mill. Notice the fixed hammers. 90% of the milling occurs when the hammers whirling at high speed impact the powder, the other 10% is from the shear as the powder is forced through the screen :
This is a Comill, which takes the opposite strategy - 75-80% of the milling is from the shear as the powder is forced through the conical screen, the rest occurs when the rotor impacts (and mixes) the powder.
Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."