Curoxyl 42 - Any tips on using it?

KimberlyLarsKimberlyLars Member
edited November 2021 in Formulating
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone has had success with this material? I've tried using it at the manufacturers guidelines with no success, especially at room temp. I got this material so it would be easier to use but it's proving the opposite. 
  %
DI Water 90.10
Sepigel 305 3.00
Curoxyl 42 2.50
Glycerin 1.00
Euxyl PE 9010 0.90
Extract in water/BG 2.50

I've also tried a similar formulation with Sepimax EMT 10/ Sepimax Zen.
Any tips or advice are welcome! Thank you.

Comments

• Write the INCi names
  • chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    @KimberlyLars better make sure everything there is peroxide stable or you will be sorry. Sepigel 305? Which "Extract"?  

• @KimberlyLars As @chemicalmatt mentioned, you need to have materials resistant to peroxides, which not be the case with your current formula. If you want to make a gel, you can find some gelling agents that work well with oxidizing agents (like Carbopol 674 although, not sure if it's approved for cosmetics). You could actually build a gel using surfactants. 
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    How will you address stability?
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Curoyl 42 is in a Carbomer base, if I recall.  So, your best bet is to use Carbomer as your gelling agent, but double check on that.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited November 2021
    Curoxyl 42 has an INCI name of Water and Benzoyl Peroxide. There is a very good guiding document available for download here; https://www.ulprospector.com/en/na/PersonalCare/Detail/705/217985/Curoxyl-42?st=1

Off-hand and from experience, you will likely need a better emulsification system.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
    edited November 2021
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • For those asking for INCI names:
    Water
    Polyacrylamide & C13-14 Isoparaffin & Laureth-7 2.00
    Water (and) Benzoyl Peroxide 2.50
    Polysorbate 20 1.50
    Phenoxyethanol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin 0.90
    Extract in Butylene Glycol 2.50
    Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer 0.50
  • @Microformulation thank you for the feedback. I found their formulation tips to be unhelpful as I did exactly as instructed with no success. Thank you for providing the sample formulation.
  • PhilGeis said:
    Typical stability with light, dark, 25°C, 40°C, 4°C, Freeze/Thaw
    @Microformulation thank you for the feedback. I found their formulation tips to be unhelpful as I did exactly as instructed with no success. Thank you for providing the sample formulation.
    I have used the product numerous times and have had no difficulty getting a homogeneous product with an overhead stirrer. (IKA Eurostar Digital).

• PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    PhilGeis said:
    Typical stability with light, dark, 25°C, 40°C, 4°C, Freeze/Thaw
    Curoxyl 42 as Benzoyl peroxide - I assume you're including this as an anti-acne active.  How do propose its determine  its stability.  Be aware - if you're in US -this will be a drug product.
    Also - don't understand the apparent comparison tio Sepimax.
  • @KimberlyLars It'd be good also to check for initial and final peroxide content, since peroxides tend to degrade in aqueous media (pH can also accelerate degradation). 
  • isn't this explosive?  
    Stanley said:
    isn't this explosive?  
    No. Where did you get that?

• Stanley said:
    isn't this explosive?  

In pure Raw form it is. But market available form are 40% (aproxi).
  • And I also think good quantity PG & EDTA also help.