Is mango butter greasy?

I've tried shea butter and found it rather greasy. Shines on the skin like Vaseline.

Comments

• emma1985emma1985 Member
    edited October 2021
    It's definitely drier than Shea but still a bit greasy. I love it. But as a formulator my priority is not to make non greasy products (I like rich and emollient textures) so might be different for others. 
  • I love to work with shea and it depends on your formula if it feels greasy or not.

maybe this is a nice read for you

https://coxistencesoaps.com/blogs/news/compare-shea-cocoa-mango-kokum-butter-natural-skincare-beauty
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    All of your butters have some greasiness to them to some extent.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • abieroseabierose Member
    edited October 2021
    @Microformulation is right. Personally the only butter that I've tried that I wouldn't classify as greasy would be Illipe butter. Shea, Mango, Cocao, Kokum, Cupuacu, Coconut...all feel greasy to me but I do still use some of these butters occasionallybut at very small amounts...like less than 1%.... Babassu is a very nice butter also but can be slightly greasy too. Just my humble opinion 😊

As @Charlene pointed out, the other elements in your formula can/will dictate the end feel.
  • Illipe and Murumuru are the only two I am using any more...cus I hate the greasy feeling of the others.

I do make a product with intentional greasiness...and I use cocoa.

The key is .... how much you use.  Mommy blogger formulas will make any of the butters feel greasy.  

The face cream I made today...had .75% each of the ones mentioned at the beginning.  3.8% other natural oils, and 5% CCT....Now that feel good.
  • abierose said:
    @Microformulation is right. Personally the only butter that I've tried that I wouldn't classify as greasy would be Illipe butter. Shea, Mango, Cocao, Kokum, Cupuacu, Coconut...all feel greasy to me but I do still use some of these butters occasionallybut at very small amounts...like less than 1%.... Babassu is a very nice butter also but can be slightly greasy too. Just my humble opinion 😊

As @Charlene pointed out, the other elements in your formula can/will dictate the end feel.
    I love Babassu so so much. ❤️