Suggestions on this conditioner formula

AbdullahAbdullah Member
edited August 2021 in Formulating
I like silicones a lot. I use Amodimethicone in shampoo and also want to make conditioner based on it. 

I have made this conditioner formula. I like that. Any suggestions to improve it would be appreciated. 

Amodimethicone (and) Cetrimonium Chloride (and) Trideceth-12  6% (1.8% active silicone)
Guar gum non-ionic  1%
Phenoxyethanol+caprylyl Glycol 1%
Lavender essential oil 0.5%
Citric acid 
pH 4.1

1. Does cationic surfactants increase the deposition of Amodimethicone in hair? 

2. Does cationic guar gum in conditioner increase the deposition of Amodimethicone in hair? 

3. Is this amount of silicone enough in hair conditioner or what is the maximum amount of Amodimethicone used in conditioner?

4. Any other suggestions to improve the deposition of Amodimethicone?

5. Any other suggestions to improve the overall quality of conditioner? 


  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Normally, something like Cetyl or Stearyl Alcohol would also be included in a conditioner formula to give some opacity / thickness / body to the texture.

    1.  Maybe but perhaps not in a noticeable way.
    2.  The supplier will say it does. I'm a little skeptical consumers would notice
    3.  Yes, 1.8% is plenty. You probably don't need more than 1%
    4.  No.
    5. Already said.
  • @Perry thanks a lot
  • @Perry ibi add cationic surfactant like BTMS to this, should i aim for ~1% total conditioning ingredients ( cationic surfactants+Amodimethicone) or 1% Amodimethicone and 1 or 2% cationic surfactants? 
Sign In or Register to comment.