Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Comment your views about the foaming performance.

• Comment your views about the foaming performance.

Posted by RedPill on December 11, 2019 at 3:35 pm
    Hi,
    I made a car shampoo formula and tested foaming abilities against another brand.
    Processs
    In two beakers took same amount water(100 ml) and shampoo (1ml)
    Agitated both with a spoon for equal amount of time and created foam.
    Shampoo A made a foam height upto 400 ml,
    and B made a foam hieght of 600 ml,
    A’s foam is small and dense.
    B’s foam is big and less denser.
    B’s foam begun poping out faster and  disappeared completely. Where A left small bubbles almost 1 cm in height even after 6 hours.
    Please assess the foaming perfomance and do comment which charasteric is most suited for a car shampoo.
    Thank you for reading and commenting.
    RedPill replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • gunther

December 11, 2019 at 3:41 pm

What’s the formula like so you can get useful replies?
    Nobody leaves a car shampoo on for 6 hours so it doesn’t matter.

What matters for car shampoos is to try to emulsify some wax (i.e. carnauba wax) and get at least some useful wax deposition.

• RedPill

December 11, 2019 at 3:54 pm
    @Gunther  Only expecting comments foaming charesterics.  I don’t need any  change in formula, thats why I didn’t typed the formula. 6 hrs isnt to leave the shampoo in car exterior, its mentioned because even after 6 hours shampoo A left small bubbles in test beaker, and B hadn’t any bubbles left. How you assess this behaviour?
    What are you suggesing about wax? Does a car shampoo should completely remove wax or not?
  • RedPill

March 10, 2020 at 5:14 am

Gunther said:

What’s the formula like so you can get useful replies?
    Nobody leaves a car shampoo on for 6 hours so it doesn’t matter.

What matters for car shampoos is to try to emulsify some wax (i.e. carnauba wax) and get at least some useful wax deposition.

Can you please suggest how to emulsify and incorporate carnauba wax in a car shampoo formulation?

• Jennycat

March 11, 2020 at 2:10 pm

The judgement of forming performance would depend on your purpose and claim. 
    For example:
    If you are targeting “easy-rinse”, then B is a better option;
    If you are targeting “luxury foam”, then A is a better option.

• RedPill

March 12, 2020 at 5:24 am

@Jennycat  Yes easy rinse is one of the target. The foam height is higher in B’s so isn’t b is much better in foaming also?

• Jennycat

March 12, 2020 at 1:06 pm

It depends on what you want, since you are formulating a car shampoo it seems that B is better.

In my opinion, “luxury foam” is more like small thick bubbles that last a longer time, not necessarily a higher foam height, and it is usually for personal care.

• RedPill

March 12, 2020 at 1:14 pm

@Jennycat Thank you for commenting.